Skip to content
Someone please help I dont know what else this could be (NEED URGENT ADVICE)
Alrich posted:
I'm 19 years old, athletic build and about 160. I used to go to the gym all the time but I have stopped all exercise about five months ago. At this time I began feeling this intense throbbing in the left side of my head randomly but I dismissed it as nothing serious. A month after that I woke up from a nap on my left side and felt a strange sharp pain in my left shoulder which I also did not understand. It continued to get worse and all kinds of symptoms would come with it. When I move my left arm in certain ways such as rolling them back, I would feel very painful grinding and you can hear it popping. Also moving it in certain ways would also cause the pain in my head to come on and give me some of the worst 10 second headaches I have ever had. It feels like my head is going to explode. The pain would vary at that time. I had Xrays and MRI's of my shoulder,cervical spine,and brain and they all came back normal about 2 months ago. The doctors only gave me muscle relaxers and ibuprofen but that did't help much.
I decided to request a blood test. They tested for stuff like meningitis and lyme disease but that came back normal except the only thing that showed was that my muscle enzymes were a bit high at a count of 300 which they weren't too concerned about.

This was about in the beginning of September. They requested another one 2 weeks after that to check it again. I got the results for that one on September 27th and the bad news came in where my muscle enzyme count jumped to over 10,000. They said it could mean some sort of infection, extreme tissue damage or even a auto immune disease. So these last two weeks I had to get another MRI for both of my shoulders and a nerve test which turned out fine and if nothing comes out of these I will need a muscle biopsy.
Now Im just going to give some more information so maybe someone could help me. Before all this like I said I used to lift all the time and I also work at the gym where I lift. The last thing I remember doing is heavy benching around 225 and that was becoming my new max. I never felt any pain or anything at that time but it started a week after that and I stopped completely. That was the only workout I did that week. I still have to rack weights at the gym at closing which I probably shouldn't, and in some cases it hurts but I have help.

When I turn my head to the left for a bit i can feel the throbbing in my head come all the way down into my neck and into my shoulder blade which feels really loose, weak and out of place. My neck gets really tingly and sore and sometimes my arms and face as well. Usually after walking, or sitting a certain way for a long time. Im in college and I always have a backpack with me and even when I have it on with very little stuff in there my shoulders will burn which also happened many times before I stopped lifting and felt the pain but now its worse.
Holding heavy objects will always hurt and I will feel a pinch in my head like something is being squeezed yet they said I dont have a pinched nerve or anything. Sometimes my hearing in my left ear will feel muffled. When I swallow my Adams apple grinds and clicks at the top where it doesn't always hurt but its very annoying and uncomfortable. My neck feels swollen at times and it could just be me but I feel like something is torn in my neck because the pain starts there and travels down. My left arm always cracks now when i bend my elbow and wrist.

Now sometimes I feel slight muscle soreness on the right side and Im worried that this is going to happen to my right arm. I'm practically always in pain and uncomfortable, I can't sleep, so right now I'm waiting for results on these last MRI's of my shoulders. I have been taking prescribed prednisone which seems to be helping only with my grinding Adams apple. Im wondering if it could its a bad tear in my neck and more? If someone knows anything or has a word of advice on what to do please do.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Opana and sweating
I take Opana ER, Vicodin, Soma for arthritis pain and compressed nerve root. I also take Zoloft and Klonopin for depression and anxiety. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.