Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
C-5,C-6 fusion post pain
rlarg posted:
I had my C-5+C-6 fusion and 3 titanium plates put in. My first surgery was New Years eve 2000, they came in thru the front. I was feeling good for about one week, then I started having unbearable pain in my left arm. They admitted me into the ER and found bone fragments in my spinal column. They stabilised me with heavy narcotics for 5 days and operated on the back of my neck, I spent more time in the hospital.
Everything has been good up till now and I am having pain and muscle spasms. It feels like it is in my C-7 area. I take Oxycontin 20mg 3x a day and Soma 3x a day also. This just isn't doing it for me. I am so frustrated, I don't want to be operated on again. I guess I am venting some.

cweinbl responded:
Sadly, spine surgery is only about 60% effective for long-term pain management. There are many alternatives, see http://www.painphysicianjournal.com/2009/july/2009;12;699-802.pdf . Good luck.
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

ctbeth responded:
Hi rlarg,

You did not indicate whether you have contacted your MD about this new pain and spasm situation.

May I suggest that as a place to start?

There are lots of options, but the place to begin is with an exam and diagnosis.

None of us who have had multiple surgeries WANTS to have more, of course.

Since you must have an MD who prescribes the Oxy and Soma, he/ she really does need to know that your condition has changed.

Best to you~

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
When it comes to understanding our pain, there are often many layers to this onion. What I mean by this is that there are often many different factors that contribute to how and what we feel, and it can be helpful to try to come to a deeper understanding of what may be playing a role before making any decisions about more surgery.

For example, if you are working, then your work station may be playing a role in your neck pain. Are you taking frequent breaks from repetitive computer use? Is your work station set up with good ergonomics? Are you tensing your neck from stress? Do you get enough exercise and physical activity to allow for good circulation and movement of the muscles and tissues around your neck? Are you getting enough sleep and eating anti-inflammatory foods?

Certainly, it sounds as if your neck has already been through a lot, and the effects of the past surgeries also play an important role that needs to be taken into careful consideration, but also try to build a step by step approach to understanding how other factors may play a role and learn more about what you can do to overcome them. By building greater knowledge about yourself and developing more tools, that will help you feel less frustrated and in more control of things.

rlarg replied to Peter Abaci, MD's response:
I have told my Doc about the pain increase and that is were he added Soma but I haven't gone back yet for a follow up.I have been on short term disability since June. I am a supervisor so I don't sit at a desk
I have been on Interferon/Ribavirin treatment 2x and have been on FMLA but only missed 3 days since January. I have been employed there for 32 years. They took my supervisory and salaried position from me and put me on hourly pay. I would have to go back to working on the floor. This makes it almost impossible for me, you would think after that much service and dedication they would have some compassion. I have a near perfect work history. Now my neck cannot take this on top of all the other challenges.The insurance just gives me enough money to pay my premium and maybe one med. I am really at a loss, I don't know how I can do this.
I have always worked out and for 56 years old, I am in good shape. I try to do everything I can to improve my health nutrition wise. Seams like a catch 22.

annette030 replied to ctbeth's response:
Hi, Beth

This is totally off topic. Welcome back, I have not seen you for awhile. I am glad you are here.

Hugs, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
41 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.