Skip to content
In pain with no insurance
gemini66 posted:
I live in central florida and i have no insurance.i have been going to a sliding scale doctor for awhile now. my general dr. put me on tramadol,. a few muscle relaxers and another medicine for my hip and neck pain...i had to pay out of pocket for the x-rays which show i have disc degenerative disease, spondylosis and scoliosis...my neck starts hurting so bad that i have to lay on my floor just to get any relief..my husband feels bad because i'm crying from the pain and theres nothing he can do. my dr. referred me to a pain management dr.who is in the same office and they put me through group classes for a month because its funded through the government and they were suspose to call me to set the actual appt. with the dr. but its been 2 mths and i'm still waiting. The nurse at this place was so rude, she made it clear that they watch us when we leave to make sure we are really in pain, even though my x-rays show whats wrong. What is a person with chronic pain that has no insurance suspose to do. It gets harder and harder to deal with it especially at my job. I've already had to go to the hospital once because of being in so much pain and they put me on vicoden but only enough for about 3 days...its sad that i can seem to find a place just because i don't have medical insurance so i have to live with this pain.

77grace responded:
Hi gemini66,
I am sorry that you are having such a hard time!I have been i n simalar situations and its very frusrtrating when you are in pain!!
What did they teach in the classes??You nsaid they had not called you yet???It's been 2 months???
I would call them!Be nice because I know what you ,mean ,they can be mean and unfair!!!Just tell them how much your huring and you really need their help!!
I don't know the whole story of no Insurance and financial makes it difficult!!!Just don't give up!
Kep on them!!!
Bleesyou,77grace

gemini66 replied to 77grace's response:
I have called them and all they say is, we will call u when we get and appt. i know its because i don't have insurance..its suspost to be a state funded pain management so they really don't care how much pain i'm in...The classes were a joke..once a week for a month i had to take time from work to go to these groups just to talk about everybodys pain and about physical therapy and accupuncture..They try to tell you pain is all in your head...i couldn't believe it...Its pretty much a joke. They arent in pain everyday so they really don't take it serious.

77grace replied to gemini66's response:
Hi gemini66,
I'm glad you got back to mwe!I really thing I totally know where you are comming from,I too have taken some Classes,I'll agree that at first it seemed like a joke some of these types of treatement really help people alot!!I know someone who was in alot of back pain ,went to accupunture and is now almost pain free!
One really Important thing that you ned to know !These types of places will only really help patients who are serious about helpm and not just DRUGS!I tell yo this from experience!If you follow their suggestions then they can see your serious and are alot more willing to go all the way with you!!!!
I have been there!!!!Keep calling!Have they actually told you to try one of these??
God Bless,and God Luck,77grace

gemini66 replied to 77grace's response:
yes they have mentioned accupuncture..i've thought about checking on it to see how much it is..if it helps with the pain, i will gladly do it..i'd rather not be dope up on medicine since i work with kids but, the pain i just can't deal with much longer. I've even thought about massage therapy, since you can usually find that at a minimal cost.

An_246419 replied to gemini66's response:
To gemini66 I can understand your pain. My mother had cancer but no real insurance and she was just a few months from turning 65. Because of my Dad's Social security they made too much to qualify for medicaid and had no outpatient insurance. She suffered a lot and died just 2 weeks after turning 65, to late to help. As rich as this country is and we can not get insurance for everyone. I favor a national health care, but not the way Obama has it set up. Accupuncture did not help my pain, but it did help my energy level. It does work for some people that I talked to and so does massage therapy, but they all cost. The one other who wrote 77grace is right try all the things they suggest so they know you are trying, but let them know that you have no money to do everything? Doctors are mostly in business to make money so just keep after them.
May the Lord be with you, Lindy19

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

medication
Hi! I hope this finds you feeling better I know finding the right meds are hard. I agree with fentanyl being strong...have they ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.