Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain management - am I being a wuss?
An_248663 posted:
I just came home from the hospital yesterday from having one ovary removed and three cysts, one of which was over 20 cm in size. This was not laproscopic, so I have a good 5 inch incision in my lower abdomen.

My surgeon prescribed 30 T3s with no refill. The T3s definitely do the trick and I am very glad I didn't get anything stronger, but now I am worried about running out. I already took a total of four yesterday after I came home and will probably take 6 today, and that is stretching the, which means a good chunk of today will be spent in pain. I will have been home just about 36 hours and have blown through 1/3 of my prescription.

Am I not being conservative enough with them? I have been waiting until it really hurts before I take any. Should I call my family doc to see if I can get a refill if needed? I don't want to look like a pill seeker and am not sure if I should just suck it up and rake what I need now and deal with the pain later.

For reference, my surgery was Tuesday afternoon.

77grace responded:
Hello and welcome,
It sounds like a painfull surgery,I've had something simalar!
Concerning your pain killers,you should take them as prescribed! From my experience with pills and pain (which is 30 yrs')I think you are oppessed with worring about the pain and if you will run out!!!As I sid take as prescribed,its probally every 6hrs or so ??Anyway live in today ,let yourself heal and if you are still in pain call the Dr. then!!Also the BIGGEST mistake I see is that YOu say you are waiting Untill the pain is too bad!The secret is to stay ahead of the pain ,not chase it!
I hope this helps!
Blessings,77grace

annette030 responded:
40 years ago when I was in nursing school we were taught to tell our patients to take their pain meds as soon as they had pain, NOT to wait until it was really bad. The studies back then showed that people took less pain meds in the long run that way, than people did who waited until their pain was really bad to take their meds.

It is normal for surgeons to prescribe pain killers with no refills. Talk to your surgeon and explain what you are doing and why. Ask him if he will consider giving you one more refill if you need it, that way you won't worry about it so much. I would deal with the surgeon for now, not your family doctor.

It sounds like you are doing fairly well, pretty much as expected. As you are more active, you will have several days of increased pain, then things should calm down again.

Take care, Annette

Anon_2912 responded:
I had a laparatomy and of course sliced from belly button to pelvic bone. However, I was kept in the hospital for 2 days due to fever. It is painful, so I was actually given a pain pump while in the hospital. Now when I got home I stayed on Hydro for 2 -3 days....

Now I had laposcropic (sp?) home same day (Friday) & back to work Monday. I was on hydro for 2 days.

Everyone is different in how they handle their pain. Call your doctor. When I had my surgeries the nurses called me to see how I was doing & if I needed any more pain medication to let them know. But I used ibuprofen 800mg along with my hydro & it worked well for me both times.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 48 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.