Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
AVN
dolly22 posted:
I was diagnosed with AVN 3 years ago. The doctor said that I was too young for a hip replacement. So 3 weeks ago I had a core decompression with a free vascularized fibular graft. I am not allowed to put any weight on my leg for 6 months and they said it should be healed within a year. I cannot begin to describe how painful this surgery is. I wasn't prepared for it at all. Has anyone else had this surgery? I just want to know how long it will hurt like this.

rjbeck77 responded:
I did have this procedure but it didn't work for me. I still had to have my left hip replaced. I had pain but for me it wasn't that bad, I am also taking methadone and oxycodone for breakthru and after the core decompression I was also given dilaudid IV.I really hope it works for you. I have AVN in 6 joints-hips,knee's and shoulders. I've replaced 1 hip and 1 shoulder. I am setting up my next surgery in the next 2-on my left shoulder. It recently collapsed.
I was also told I was to young for a replacement,I was 42 when I did my shoulder and 43 when I did the hip. I still have pain in my new hip and it also pops in and out when walking. It's been a nightmare and I've been to 3 different ortho's for there opinions..Take care RB

dolly22 replied to rjbeck77's response:
Hi RB , I am so sorry it didn't work for you. what a nightmare you have been thru. I will be praying for you. I wasn't on any pain medicine before I had this surgery so I am surprised it isnt helping. I guess only time will help.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.