Skip to content
AVN
dolly22 posted:
I was diagnosed with AVN 3 years ago. The doctor said that I was too young for a hip replacement. So 3 weeks ago I had a core decompression with a free vascularized fibular graft. I am not allowed to put any weight on my leg for 6 months and they said it should be healed within a year. I cannot begin to describe how painful this surgery is. I wasn't prepared for it at all. Has anyone else had this surgery? I just want to know how long it will hurt like this.

rjbeck77 responded:
I did have this procedure but it didn't work for me. I still had to have my left hip replaced. I had pain but for me it wasn't that bad, I am also taking methadone and oxycodone for breakthru and after the core decompression I was also given dilaudid IV.I really hope it works for you. I have AVN in 6 joints-hips,knee's and shoulders. I've replaced 1 hip and 1 shoulder. I am setting up my next surgery in the next 2-on my left shoulder. It recently collapsed.
I was also told I was to young for a replacement,I was 42 when I did my shoulder and 43 when I did the hip. I still have pain in my new hip and it also pops in and out when walking. It's been a nightmare and I've been to 3 different ortho's for there opinions..Take care RB

dolly22 replied to rjbeck77's response:
Hi RB , I am so sorry it didn't work for you. what a nightmare you have been thru. I will be praying for you. I wasn't on any pain medicine before I had this surgery so I am surprised it isnt helping. I guess only time will help.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!