Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    Torn rotator cuff
    mayborn posted:
    Saw my Dr. yesterday and had EMG done. Good news, only minor problems in wrist, no nerve problems with the shoulder. Bad news, I reached for something this am and now my shoulder hurts worse. Dr. wants me to continue doing pt, but I've been dealing with this now since July and am very tired of being in pain and being unable to do my normal activities. I am considering simply asking the Dr. about doing the surgery. I know I will need to do pt afterwards, and believe me, I'm willing to do the work!! Just really want to deal with the torn tendons and be able to continue on with my life.
    I have torn 2 tendons in my ankle before, and those did not heal without surgery. Also, as a Type ! diabetic, I simply don't heal quickly anyway.
    Anyone have any thoughts?
    David Maine, MD responded:
    Thanks for your post. If you have attempted and adequate course conservative treatment and your pain or disability from the injury persist then surgery may be appropriate. I would discuss this with you surgeon. Best of luck!

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.