Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Frozen Shoulder
gina1961 posted:
This is my first discussion on a pain management site.
[br>Wondering if anyone out there got a frozen shoulder after rotator cuff surgery...and what did you do about it? I really don't want to go under again for that "manipulation"...[br>[br>I think my shoulder was freezing up for about 6 months before my RC surgery. My ortho surgeon said my supraspinatus tear wasn't all that bad, so I can't figure out why I'm in so much pain. I had arthroscopic surgery with 3 pins drilled into the bone, scar tissue and a bone spur also removed at that time.[br>[br>I'm 7 weeks post-op now, and the pain is still bad enough to wake me every 2-3 hours. My husband has to put up with a ton of pillows in the bed. I've tried heat and cold before bed and all the NSAIDs, sleeping in the recliner, etc. but I still wake up with throbbing pain from my shoulder to my elbow.[br>[br>Started PT after only 3 weeks post-op, since my ortho surgeon said my shoulder was "freezing". PT is very painful, and it's hard to know if it is helping...I go twice/week.[br>[br>I too had natural childbirth, and thought I could handle any pain that came my way. Wow, was I wrong! Sometimes I tell my husband to get out the loppers, and put me out of my misery!

cybil53 responded:
Hi gina,

I had frozen shoulder and yes it is very painful! I didn't have surgery but I have fibromyalgia and my doctor said it is very common to get frozen shoulder when you have fibro. I was in so much pain , couldn't raise my arm to wash my hair, couldn't sleep, basically I couldn't use it for anything, it got so bad I couldn't drive. I went to a orthopedic surgeon thinking it was a tear in my shoulder but he said it was frozen shoulder. He gave me a steroid shot and I went to PT for 6 weeks, 3 times a week. Yes the PT was brutal but keep going, I am amazed at what I can do now. If you don't continue with therapy they will have to go back in and manipulate the shoulder to stretch it loose. I don't think you want that. I also use my tens on it and that seems to help.
I know your shoulder problem is different than mine being you had surgery but I wanted to share with you how much therapy helped me.
Good luck and I hope the therapy starts to give you some relief. Take Care! Cybil

gina1961 replied to cybil53's response:
Cybil,

Thank you for the fast reply! It's good to know that PT is working for you. I know I have more range of motion with PT, but also have a range of pain, too! I am going to look into 'tens' also, since I have read other WebMD posts mentioning this system.

It's good to know that other people out there have, unfortunately, experienced the pain of a frozen shoulder... since my family thinks this pain is all in my head.

-Gina

77grace replied to gina1961's response:
Hi gina,
Sorry to hear about your Shoulder and I can relate to the pain!I don't have a frozen shoulder but I have Tumors that grow on the Nerves on my spine and they are very painful!Unfortunatley the pain has spread out to a very Large area which includes my left shoulder,Ribs,mid and lower Back etc.So I think I know what you are going through!Have you seen your Dr. yet???Please do so ,hopefully get a MrI or some kind of xray so they can see whats going on!
Hang in there and let us know how its going,I really do feel for you ! Blessings,77grace

gina1961 replied to 77grace's response:
Grace,

Thank you for your reply! I'm sorry to hear about your nerve pain...it sounds quite extensive, a much larger area than mine. My physical therapist says some of my pain is also nerve pain in the neck muscle which manifests down into my arm. Nerve pain is something new to me, and not pleasant.

KarenElizabeth responded:
I have frozen shoulder as a result of arthroscopic surgery for a tear & bursitis. It has been awful. My doctor told me I would be healed in time for a big family ski trip 6 weeks after surgery. Needless to say, I wasn't, and now its almost 3 months and I'm still in pain.
The PT I had started immediately after surgery in Oct, but my ortho put a halt to that when I was still in pain. He put me back on Prednisone for a month and told me to not do anything for a week, and then start PT again 3x a week. When that did nothing, he told me that the PT was aggravating it, to let the inflammation "burn itself out" and take Aleve 2x a day. I go back to see him in 2 weeks but nothing is different. If anything, the nights are worse and I didn't think that was possible.
My point is, sometimes drs take you off PT if it's not helping. It would take me days to stop reeling from pain after certain ways they stretched my arm. Now I do pulleys and pendulum swings at home, but that's it. I'm at a loss for what is the answer. I feel like he doesn't know what is wrong and we are stabbing at ideas. I'm actually hoping for a cortisone shot, or like you said, lopping the arm off!!

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Fibromyalgia Pain
I had a lot of pain in my lower back. The doctor diagnosed it as Fibromyalgia. He prescribed lyrica which works really well. I still have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.