Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Torn intercostal or cracked rib?
Katedarula posted:
Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this thread. I apologize if it's under the wrong section.[br>[br>So my problem is that I've had some extreme pain going on for weeks now in my rib area. It is approx. underneath my right breast. A friend of mine who works out told me that it sounds like a torn intercostal muscle. Now, this was about 3 weeks ago. A few nights ago, I sat up and twisted too quickly and felt what can only be described as a rubberband popping. I am unsure of whether this is my intercostal(s) or a cracked rib, because I woke up yesterday, and the best way to describe how I felt was that it felt like I just got out of surgery. INTENSE. The pain is very intense to the point where I cannot do anything. Whenever I cough, sneeze, or even breath, I feel an extraordinarily sharp stabbing pain. It actually feels as if I am being stabbed in my lungs or something in there whenever I do anything whatsoever. It feels a different and 100 times more intense than it did a few weeks ago. I read that you can lay on your back and feel your ribcage, and if you feel a protrusion, then it's most likely the ribs. I tried to lay on my back and...wow. I had to have someone come over and help me up right away. It's soooo painful, and that's saying a lot coming for me, as I normally have a high threshold for pain. [br>[br>This post is a bit scatterbrained, so if anyone can help me and has any further questions about this, please just ask. Any and all help is much appreciated.

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

I hate to sound like a broken record as I have replied to several other recent posts this way, but there is no way for anyone over an internet message board to know what that could be. You need to see a doctor asap for evaluation and treatment.

If cost is an issue, look into free or low-cost clinics in your area. If it becomes an emergency then get to a local hospital emergency room right away. They must treat you regardless of ability to pay.

I hope you can get this resolved soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.