Skip to content
wcarpenter2 posted:
I have a pain that is under my rib cage. it is not consistant. My family says gallbladder but the pain is only an inch or so from my sternum. The pain is sharp and lasts about 30 seconds and 5 to 15 times a day. The longer the day, the more the pain. Can anyone advise me on this? My insurance is not good the first year but the second year is great. My wife and I are having a baby due on November 25 so I want to be ready and not in the hospital.
davedsel57 responded:

Unfortunately, there is no way for anyone over an internet message board to know what that could be. You need to see a doctor asap for evaluation and treatment. I will share that I had my gallbladder removed in 2000 and was having symptoms similar to yours. I've also had similar pain and it turned out to be a herniated disc in my spine at T12/L1.

If cost is an issue, look into free or low-cost clinics in your area. If it becomes an emergency then get to a local hospital emergency room right away. They must treat you regardless of ability to pay.

I hope you can get this resolved soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.


wcarpenter2 replied to davedsel57's response:
Dave, thank you for the advise. I have a pretty high tolerance of pain and this is what worries me. I am hoping that nothing gets any worse before the baby is born so that I can at least get my wife and new daughter home safely. I will keep you posted if you wish?

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Gall bladder
Two years ago. I was experiencing a piercing pain dead center of the chest .it was like someone was taking their finger and pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.