Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Elbow Injury
66Strait posted:
Over the last few months I've been dealing with some elbow pain. In the summer I was golfing nearly every day, and lifting weights a few days per week. Once the pain started I stopped all activities until my elbow felt normal, but the pain would come back if I put any strain on the elbow. I went to my doctor and she immediately said it had to be elbow tendonitis or tennis elbow and recommended 4-6 weeks of physical therapy and to use Naproxin. I went to physical therapy and they made it sound like if I had tennis elbow/elbow tendonitis it would hurt after doing some diagnostic stretches they had me do. I felt no pain in any of the stretches they had me do. The pain goes away completely but always comes back when I lift something heavy.
I question if there was a misdiagnosis because the physical therapist suggested that my pain would be felt somewhere other than where I'm feeling it. I feel pain in the tissue right on the outsides the bone of the elbow on the outside and inside of it, also where the tricep meets the elbow joint. The pain is usually felt when performing a pulling motion, like opening doors or lifting something heavy off the ground.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle.

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
Tennis elbow, also called lateral epicondylitis, is elbow pain on the thumb side of the arm. Forceful grasping and heavy lifting can aggravate this type of pain. Golfer's elbow, also known as medial epicondylitis, is elbow pain at the pinky finger side of the arm. This type of pain is often aggravated by flexing the wrist. While golfer's elbow is less common than tennis elbow, you may want to talk to your doctor and therapist about this possibility.

As a point of interest, I had a bout of tennis elbow, and to be honest, it really lasted several months before resolving.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

TylenolExpert
Overdoses from acetaminophen send thousands of people to the emergency room in the U.S. each year according the Centers for Disease Control ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.