Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What Are Your Plans for Thanksgiving?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
When pain is part of the picture, big holidays sometimes need to be managed so you can enjoy them as much as possible.

What are your plans?
How do you ensure you pace yourself?
And what are you thankful for this year?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

davedsel57 responded:
For the past several years we have eaten at Denny's on the holidays. Loved it.

Last Christmas we found that you can get an entire cooked 'feast' from Bob Evans for reasonable price. We will be taking that to my mother-in-law's house and dine with both our sons, my wife, her parents and my dad. Very delicious and easy.

There is no way either my wife or I could cook a full holiday dinner any longer. We still enjoy the day with our family, but do not have to suffer with extra pain afterwards.

Have a blessed and Happy Thanksgiving, friends.

Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to davedsel57's response:
Hey, that's great, Dave, that you've found a way to have a real family feast without adding to your pain! More and more, over the years, I've heard from people going similar routes.

I haven't taken that step yet but then I have enough help. BUT I do buy the stuffed and cooked from frozen turkeys because I can't manage it otherwise. And everyone else pitches in for the rest. Formality has been sacrificed for comfort and chaotic fun which is great, actually. And everyone helps with the clean-up, thank goodness.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

dfromspencer replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
This year, like the last, i will be heading across the state for dinner with my father, and stepmother. I hate to admit it, but i like to be able to just sit down and eat. No cooking for hours, no clean-up afterwards.

Not having to do these things, is a real blessing to my pain. I can get away with less painkiller's this way.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!!

ctbeth replied to dfromspencer's response:
For many, many years, I made Thanksgiving dinner. Every year, since my accident, I say, "This is it. I cannot do this any more."

This year, I'm actually stepping down and not making Thanksgiving dinner.

My family is having dinner at a nice French restaurant. I am so pleased that I don't have to cook and clean, and that we'll have a lovely dinner. We have a few vegetarians (me included) in our family, so everyone can get whatever he/ she wants.

We have Mexican food on Christmas Eve and my daughter and I make that at our home.

Anyone else going out for Thanksgiving dinner?

peskypain responded:
For quite a few years now my mom and I pre-order dinner from Boston Market and then I go pick it up the day before (no lines! LOL)...And then we just heat everything up on Thanksgiving day and enjoy!

No mess...no fuss...and pretty darn inexpensive and you get all the yummy things from cornbread, turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, yams, cranberries, and even an apple pie!!!

It's delicious! We don't have any family that lives close enough to us so it's just us.

I've learned a long time ago that it's not about what someone cooks or doesn't cook themselves...it's all about the love and time together:)

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to dfromspencer's response:
I totally understand, Dennis. It's nice, when you're always the one doing the cooking, to have that nice break and just relax.
~Joseph Campbell

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to ctbeth's response:
I'm so glad you're looking forward to an easier Thanksgiving, Bet! Enjoy that French restaurant.
~Joseph Campbell

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to peskypain's response:
We need more services like that where I live, Peskypain. It sounds great!
~Joseph Campbell

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.