Skip to content
Thought...
An_249100 posted:
I have been on meds for 12 yrs due to bowel disease- finally hydromorphone... I came off completely and am just using the O&B suppositories (Opium & Belladonna)... at times the pain is SO bad I am almost screaming- I have a lot of distraction methods I use- but when its that bad I'm writhing... showers, my computer, music, games, ice, heat, tylenol- doesn't help. I have an ileostomy which prolapses and sometimes "plugs" for a bit...and lately been losing stuff thru the bottom end after huge stomach ache... i have an appointment with surgeon in 2.5 weeks- and because I've been ON meds for so long (incl infusions of potassium magnesium and saline thru my port) my Dr won't give me anything else for pain when I do have it... I wouldn't treat my dog like this! I don;t like suffering or having my kids and husband see me like that. Any suggestions?

ctbeth responded:
Dear Anon,

I see that you have an appointment with your MD.

If you cannot wait that long (2 and 1/2 weeks(, perhaps your MD can see you sooner

Opium and Belladonna are narcotics, no matter what route of entry you use.

To me, the only thing to say is to tell all of this to your MD.

Best wishes.

cweinbl responded:
Actually, your suppositories are far more powerful than the hydromorphone. It doesn't matter whether they come in through the top, bottom, IM, Transdermal, port or IV. But you did not say how long you've been using the suppositories. If it has been many months or years, you could have become tolerant to it (them). Many of us have gradually gone from one higher-level opioid to another over a period of years. In other words, we have become tolerant to the most powerful pain drugs. When that happens, we must rotate to a chemically different opioid. After a few months, we can switch back to the original medication(s) with significantly greater efficacy. The problem is when the meds we are tolerant of are the most powerful; we cannot rotate to anything of equal or greater power.

I'm sorry that your doctor won't give you something else. You're right that it's a terrible way to treat anyone, human or animal. I can only offer a suggestion. Ask your physician about Fentanyl Transdermal. Fentanyl is the most powerful pain medication available. It is available in every format and at many diverse dosage levels. The Transdermal patch works for 48 to 72 hours. This one very powerful pain medication added 9 awesome years to my career.

Consider off-label drugs, includes an anti-depressant (to inhibit the reuptake of Seratonin), an anti-convulsant (if you have neuropathic pain) and Marinol (Elan Pharmaceuticals). The active ingredient in Marinol is THC. Yes, that's the same THC that"026 well you know what it is. After almost 40 years of continuous severe pain (from central canal stenosis, herniated discs, multi-level fusion, massive fibrosis (scar tissue) and ubiquitous osteoarthritis, I've learned about virtually every pain treatment. THC will either help you immensely or it will make you anxious. You have nothing to lose. If it doesn't help, just DC it.

Mind-body techniques can help a little. I can reduce my pain by about 20% at any time with biofeedback. Some people rave about TENS, hypnosis, systematic relaxation, meditation or Yoga.

Try everything that comprehensive pain management clinics offer. Chances are, some combination of options will help.

Distraction is powerful. Use what works. In my case it is writing, sports and films. Try whatever is of interest. The easier it is to distract yourself, the more pain-free minutes you'll have.

People like us require an open-minded physician, willing to prescribe a very wide variety of options for our chronic pain. Eventually, you and your physician will determine which combinations of medications and non-invasive treatments work well. If all else fails, there is the spinal cord stimulator and the intrathecal infusion pump.
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

77grace responded:
Hi and Welcome.
First of all ,I feel sad for you because I know what its like to have alot of pain and my Tolerence is so high that nothing so far helps very much!As others have said the meds you are on are very strong and I would guess that they work better because of how they are used!!
Sevral years ago I had to go off everything for several months to get my tolerene down!It was very hard and I hurt like crazy but then when I tried my meds.they did help!!!Think about it!
Good luck,77grace

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Opana and sweating
I take Opana ER, Vicodin, Soma for arthritis pain and compressed nerve root. I also take Zoloft and Klonopin for depression and anxiety. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.