Skip to content
moving out of state with pain
techtime posted:
I have a simple question. I am planning on moving out of the state of Va. to the state of Kentucky. I am currently taking percocet for chronic pain. Somebody told me that they will not precribe me that medication in the state of Kentucky. I actually tend to not believe that statement but it has me concerned because that is the only pain medication that gives me any relief. Is there anyone out there that can put my mind at ease?
annette030 responded:
I would personally find a doctor that I felt comfortable with before I decided to move for sure. Just like finding a job before moving back when I was working. This way you can iron out things like as needed medications before you move.

Take care, Annette
loreeves responded:
doctors in any state can prescribe narcotics. Now some make it more difficult than other. But none have laws saying you can't write for this medication or another. With that said I agree with annette030... try to find a doctor first if you can. Finding someone long distance can be difficult though. and I would suggesst if you're able to set up as many appointments as possible within a few days or week...and fly in. The other option is to continue seeing your current doctor until you can find someone in Kentucky. That's the route I will most likly go. I've been trying to get moved to Phoenix...dryer climate means less pain (I'm in the New Orleans area at the moment). My doctor...had a number of patients that came from out of state to see him. Of course this will cost since I will have to fly in every 3-4 months. I've had to save up for this...and hopefully I will find someone before I run out of the funds to pull this off. Which actually I think I will. The hardest part to pull off has been getting the resources to move in the first place. I'm hoping for Feb/March...but I'll believe it when I'm there in my own apartment enjoying the dry climate.
Good luck. I hope it all works out for you. Lorraine
77grace responded:
Hello and Welcome!
I agree qwith Annette too,also maybe you could ask the Dr. you have to write either a larger amount when you are leaving or write a couple of different ones post dated!!!
Its very important to have as many records of your pain treatment as you can!!!
I know its never easy with these kind of drugs,Drs. worry about getting in trouble with the DEA !I think they worry alot!Also explain to this new Dr.about trying other things etc.!
annette030 replied to 77grace's response:
Getting extra RXs to take with you is a good idea. Make sure you can fill them in the new state before you go. My doctor gives me three RXs for each opioid I take. I only see her every three months. Works out well for me.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Gall bladder
Two years ago. I was experiencing a piercing pain dead center of the chest .it was like someone was taking their finger and pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.