Skip to content
Trigeminal Neuralgia
An_249202 posted:
What is the best treatment for Trigeminal Neuralgia. I also have fibromyalgia so I'm taking Neurontin at night,,,900mg. If I take Neurontin during the day I'm very sleepy. Is there something I can take that doesn't cause drowsiness.? Thank you very much for your help.

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

Here is a link to the WebMD Trigeminal Neuralgia Directory: http://www.webmd.com/brain/trigeminal-neuralgia-directory

Reading through that should answer your questions.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

An_249202 responded:
Thank you so much Dave. I'll go to that board now and see what I can find out about TN .I'm sure there will be lots of helpful information.

annette030 responded:
I also take neurontin, 800 mg. once a day in the evening. It works fine that way. I was scared of the sedation like side effects, so my doctor prescribed it all in one dose, once a day. She has had other patients who use it that way with good results.

I think you just need to try different things during the day to see what works without causing sleepiness.

Take care, Annette

panze32 replied to annette030's response:
Thanks for your reply Annette. I am taking 900mg at night for sleep and for fibro. pain. But now I need to take something for Trigeminal Neuralgia. My Dr is considering Tegratol.

annette030 replied to panze32's response:
Many of the anti-seizure meds help with these kinds of things. Tegratol is one of them.

Both FMS and TN are neurological problems, please don't get hung up on taking a med for one diagnosis, it might work for more than one. You will be the lucky one!!!

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.