Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
An Update On Nutrition
Peter Abaci, MD posted:
The role of food and nutrition in pain treatment is an ever-evolving topic.The October issue of the journal Pain published an updated review of nutrition research in pain treatment, and I thought I would pass along some of the information.

If you are interested in supplements, omega-3 fatty acids (like fish oils) have been able to reduce joint pain and stiffness in a number of studies. Magnesium supplementation may reduce the frequency, but not intensity, of pain cycles. Alpha-lipoic acid and vitamin E can reduce nerve pain associated with diabetic neuropathy.

The compounds in these supplements can all be found in the foods we eat including:
  • Omega-3 fatty acids: nuts, seafood, avocados
  • Magnesium: Leafy greens, chocolate, nuts, avocados, pumpkins
  • Alpha-lipoic acid: Leafy greens and yeast

Remember to consult with your doctor before making dietary changes. Feel free to share any dietary tips that you have found successful.

rjbeck77 responded:
Hi Dr.Abaci,
I see you mentioned Alpha-lioic acid. About 1-month my brothers neurologist @ UNC recommended Stabilized R- Lipoic Acid supplement for him to try for small fiber neuropathy and the results for him have been remarkable, After 3-weeks of 1 tablet daily he is no longer having these painful episodes of nerve pain at night. Also the burning in his feet has been decreased.. This does not work for everybody but for a small investment.(under $20) it was worth it. Thank You Randy

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Thanks for this, Dr. Abaci.

The only thing I'm missing is enough omega-3 and will have to remedy that.

(FYI, I've taken alpha-lipoic acid for years for another condition and am glad it may be part of an ease in my pain too.)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

Sistersandy responded:
New to this forum
Hi Dr. Abaci, I'm glad that you feel that diet and supplements may effect pain. I currently take the 3 supplements you listed. Can you give an example of a food that contains "yeast"? I have suffered with bilateral chronic leg and buttock pain and have been on a control substance for many years. I have had many treatments and procedures over the years and none have relieved my pain. I'm hoping that I will get some helpful information from the doctors and others in this forum. Thanks

PetuniaPea replied to Sistersandy's response:
Hi, not sure if you still need the info on yeast, but maybe he's referring to "nutritional yeast." I used this many years ago. I got it at Whole Foods Market, but I'm sure any health food store has it. I sprinkled it on various foods like yogurt or soups.

Nutritional yeast is different than brewer's yeast or yeast used to make bread. I think, but am not positive, that the former doesn't create more yeast in the body, and the latter 2 may cause yeast overgrowth in the body, which is not good...yeast infections, etc...yuck!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.