Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fractured SCS leads
evanob posted:
I am a spine surgeon and I recently had a patient with a fractured lead wires. I was not previously aware of this type of failure. The wires are integral to the paddle electrodes and the percutaneous leads. This means that when the wires fail, additional surgery must be performed to remove the bad implant and replace with new. There is risk of dural tear, nerve injury, and infection. I was disappointed to learn than all three manufacturers (Medtronic, St. Jude, and Boston Scientific) only warrant the wires for one year, even though the generator is warranted for longer. If pacemaker leads were this fragile, patients would die. This wire fragility needs to be addressed by the FDA to force manufacturers to solve this problem. One year warranty on the wires is ridiculous.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.