Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Holiday Shopping
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
With pain part of the picture, how do you pace yourself when it comes to holiday shopping?

What shortcuts/tips do you use?

Do you shop online?

Are giving gift cards or money okay with you?

And once you have the gifts, how do you present them... gift bags, wrapping, what?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

davedsel57 responded:
Hello, everyone.

I definitely shop on line. Got my wife a tablet PC last week. Got each son a GPS for their car on Thanksgiving day. Got our youngest an iPhone last week. We will schedule the service and pay for a remote starter for our eldest son's Smartcar. I will also get a remote start for my Elantra. Then it will be little stocking stuffers and small gifts to open on Christmas morning.

No problem giving gift cards and have done that in the past.

Gift bags are the easiest and most practical.

Have a healthy and happy holiday season, everyone!

Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to davedsel57's response:
I'm with you on the gift bags, Dave. I've used them for many years now as wrapping is so difficult for me.

P.S. I love penguins!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

ctbeth replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Dear Caprice, David, et al,

I took Dave's advice and have done approx 80% of my shopping online.

I even bought one-of my sons an antique pocket watch, chain, and fob on eBay.

I had never used the gift bags heretofore. I love them and wish that I had used them for all these years.

I have very limited fine motor in my hands and gift wrapping, tape, and all gets difficult and frustrating.

With the bags, I can just wrap things in coloured tissue and place them in the bag.

The BEST part is that they are re-usable so they do not have to end up in the land fill for years.

This is such a small suggestion that has made a difference for me.

My wish is that many more would post tips- even if you think that they are silly or un-worthy.

Even the simple things that others use to help may be something that others may not have thought of.

This is a prime example.

Thanks so much!

Love,

CTB

PS Yes, I do live near Sandy Hook. Many have asked since Friday.

mommiedavis4 replied to davedsel57's response:
Wow!! Your family got some darn nice gifts!! Wish I could give my kids gifts like that. Oh well, life is what it is.!! Have a good "pain free" evening!!

smann68 responded:
Hi,

I do all my christmas shopping on line. All year long, anytime I see something that I know someone would appreciate for christmas, b-days, etc., I go ahead and buy it. You can come across some very good deals this way. I definatley think gift cards are a nice gift, as well as money. That way, you know they are able to buy something that they will enjoy.

Merry Christmas and Have a Blessed New Year!!

Khofacre responded:
Ugh, I so do not like wrapping. It is very painful no matter what medication I'm on. I have 4 kids under 12, so I think it's a big deal for them. Anybody else gets bags( the best invention ). Or the shirt boxes with Christmas designs on them!

The last few years we have shopped online, this year more then others.

Tip:Black Friday, Amazon has the best deals!! Even the night before. We were able to get our kids video games half price

And gift cards are ok I think for certain people (like my niece who's 13 lol)

Good luck all & Merry Christmas

Kristina

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

I live in Arizona
If you drive in Arizona you can goto jail for DUI for any meds in your system, There are no buses where I live. I guess I will just sit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.