Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Butran Patch & what helps best??
gimpsalottami posted:
I have been taking Norco 10/325's for months and was just recently put on 10 mg Butran Patch. Does any one have really good results when pairing a pain reliever with their Patch?? Norco helps and of course 2 really help but I dislike having to pump myself with them all day to get total relief. If I werre to just be totally still all day then would be fine. I have always been active and now my day is spent in a recliner if I get out I have to take more pain meds. Just taking a bath or shower and drying off and combing out my hair is like pulling teeth grrrr.

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
The active ingredient in the Butran Patch is a compound known as buprenorphine. In my practice, we typically use buprenorphine as a tool to help patients who wish to transition off of long-term opioid pain medications. For these folks, the reasons may include tolerance, side effects, dependence, addiction, or a lack of efficacy as reasons for making this type of choice. The buprenorphine, which we often use sublingually, can work well as a transition medicine as far as helping with withdrawal and pain issues, and in some cases the long-term use of buprenorphine can be a good alternative. In short, for patients who are trying to transition away from their chronic dependence on their opioid pain killers, buprenorphine can be a very helpful medication.

I think your particular case, it would be helpful for you to talk to your doctor to see what goals he/she has for you with the Butrans Patch and make sure you two are on the same page with that.

gimpsalottami replied to Peter Abaci, MD's response:
Thank you for your response and insight. Actually my pain management doctor suggested that I use the Norco along with the Butran patch. I noticed a good amount of relief from the patch.. but it's not enough. I have Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis cannot walk. I have minimal use of my right hand where I have bone on bone and moderate carpal tunnel. Maybe I need to ask for a stronger patch???

Lauralizzie01 responded:
my pm dr has me taking opana ir as a breakthru and butrans 20mcg patch once a week! its wonderful! i can take the opana if i need it, but the butrans does a great job taking care of long term. no more waking up in agony at three am when meds wear off. no more taking handfulls of pills, and it really works wonders for me!

Lauralizzie01 replied to gimpsalottami's response:
there is also a 20mcg patch you could try... if thats not enough maybe a better breakthru med? i know i got to the point where hydrocodone just didnt cut it... thats when the dr switched me to opana ir... which i love... for now at least...

gimpsalottami replied to Lauralizzie01's response:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm actually on day 3 of no hrdros. So far I'm doing ok just as long as I don't do much but that is no way to live I suppose. When I go back on the 18th I will ask about the opana. Thanks again!!

annette030 replied to gimpsalottami's response:
Be ready to tell the doctor what activities you would like to do but cannot due to pain or an increase in pain. Be very specific.

My doctor prefers me to be more active and is willing to deal with increased use of pain meds during those times. Everyone is different.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.