Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Giving up Hope
gimpsalottami posted:
I have had 12 surgeries already and was just told yesterday that I need another one. I have had my foot in a cast since mid July. Now I finally got a Doctor to listen to me FINALLY and have such bad Osteoarthritis in my hand and Bone on Bone that it needs to be fixed. That would explain why my pain patch and two hydros didn't knock out the relentless pain. So now if I don't get back to work by mid January 2013 I not only lose my job but lose my insurance. I can't even walk. I have filed for disability but everyone knows how that goes. I'm feeling done...I can't face not having money to pay my bills...what I have had to put on credit is going to escalate sky high...I am done being strong..So when I have my hand surgery I won't be able to use my crutches either. I don't want to be a burden any longer..........Yes I am reaching out because I admit defeat.........

Anon_2912 responded:
Oh man...Do I understand your frustation. I dealt with "fistula" issues for 3 straight years...

Had surgery after surgery...I could not sit or walk. The fistula was unfortunately in the butt area....

Very painful when I would get the abscesses month after month...Had a total of 8 corectoral surgeries to try & get rid of the fistual. I wanted so bad to call it quits...Had to have a health care nurse come everyday to change my bandages...I for obvious reasons could not do myself...

I finally had the more evasive surgery that finally took care of it and the infection. A year now & so far cleared, but I am crossing my fingers...

However, I continued to work, but I did a lot of standing up & moving slow.......Like you I could not afford to lose my job or insurance.

All I can say is take it day by day, hour by hour....

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

I am sorry to read of your pain and how you feel defeated. I understand about your pain and the financial concerns all too well..

Please keep doing your research. There are many websites like spine-health.com, spineuniverse.com and the WebMD Back Pain Health Center that can give you good information.

Have you contracted an attorney to help you file for SSD? That is usually the most successful method.

Know you are not alone. There are many people here on WebMD who are living your same experiences. It is important to do your best to keep doing your research, keep as active as possible, and keep a positive attitude.

I will be praying for you and offer good thoughts. Please keep us updated and come anytime to ask questions or just to vent.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

77grace responded:
Hi ,
I am sorry to hear that you are having so many problems with pain and health !!!But,I know you can do it~~~I really understand the feeling of wanting to give up!But I'm gratful for a loving God that pulls me through each time!
As far as Disability,yes it's hard to get!I haave been denied 2 times but now I got an attorney and I am confident in them,(they have a great reputation)so I really hope they can help me!!!
Please,do not give up,sometimes the answer is just around the corner!!
I will keep you in my prayers too!
77grace

annette030 responded:
Have a good cry, then start working at the top of your list of things you must do, and work your way down the list.

There are crutches made for use by folks who do not have the use of their hand, the weight is supported by the fore arm.

If you are depressed, see a therapist to help with that. Don't be too ashamed to get help, it is really no big deal to see a mental health person.

Do NOT just put this stuff aside and allow yourself to forget about it. You can do it.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.