Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
kicked off of pain medication contract from clean test...
kittydollface posted:
Hello. I was reading some of the other posts and problems and couldnt come across one with the same situation as mine so I thought I would post. I have had the same doctor for a little over two years and was on one pain medication and she had me sign a contract. I had a doctors appointment and she did a urine test...no problem. Then about a month later she called and told me that she could not give them to me anymore because my urine came back clean. Well, the day of my appointment with her, I hadn't been home for five days being that I was helping my mother and step father out due to some issues. I do not drive and had no way to get home any sooner than after my doctors appointment because I then had a ride. Anyway, when explaining this to her, she said that she would call me back and she said she was sorry but that maybe an nsaid would work. I had to get the refill three days later and there was no taking me off slowly or anything. They were just gone and that was that. I had ran out at my parents house and thought I would be ok til I got home but that turned into two days later. I didn't have too much of a problem with withdrawal like symptoms but the pain was intense as I have never really missed a does often especially for that long. At the initial appointment the month before cutting me off, my step father had ended up in the hospital due to the health problems and when we finally got a vehicle, got up there one am. By my appointment time, I was physically there but definately not mentally there. As in I was just so exhausted and sore and it was just a quick recheck. Not much was talked about just the usual wellness check kinda stuff. Now she doesn't believe me and I am insane with taking tylenol and ibuprofen...I could take a sugar pill and it would have the same effect. I was on the lortab. She gave me instead, a stronger iboprofen and it isn't touching the pain whatsoever. I have two children and a full day of things that I have to do regardless of my physical disability and it is even harder not having anything at all that even gives me a little relief. And because of that I don't sleep but an hour here, an hour there, and by morning I might get four hours on a good night. It is just tiring me out. Btw I am 40 and have been disabled since I was 29 due to a serious injury and then four years ago, ended a physically abusive relationship that furthered the physical pain. I don't want to ask to talk to her about it again and explain about my stepdad and my lack of mention of staying at my moms with my children for the last few days in fear that she will just think I am a druggie or selling them or whatever it is that they think you do. Any advice would be great. Going to another doctor isn't going to help because it would have to be at the same building and company due to my insurance and that to me would be the most suspicious of all. I just feel that I was so wrongly accused. She even mentioned that she has never had a problem with me before but she just really wanted to be on the safe side. I totally get her side of it...just wish she could understand mine.

_swank_ responded:
Honestly, you weren't wrongly accused. If you were able to go 5 days without your meds then it's pretty reasonable for your doctor to assume you don't need them that badly. Otherwise, you would have brought them with you. That's what I do when I travel. Doctors hear all kinds of stories and it's a pretty difficult job trying to figure out who's telling them the truth. Bottom line though, you signed a contract.

ctbeth responded:
Hello from Connecticut,

While I was reading your discussion, much-of-the same thoughts came to my mind that -swank- wrote.

Sadly, you did sign a contract and you violated it. The circumstance does not really matter; all that matters is that you have no opioid in your system.

I suppose you're going to have to doctor shop to find someone who will treat you.

Should the same sort of situation arise, a better course of action would have been, soon as you realised that you forgot to take your meds to your visit, to call your pain management MD and explain.

Most MDs are okay with this, as we're not perfect. The problems arise when we get caught and try to explain after the fact.

How were you able to go five days without pain med if you need it? Weren't you experiencing withdrawal?

May I ask what is the nature of your pain syndrome? I am curious how ending an abusive relationship would have, "furthered the physical pain."

Depending upon your medical diagnosis, perhaps a different field of medicine could evaluate you and offer different methodologies for what you're experiencing.

Please do not think that we're being cruel or do not understand your pain; we're all here for the same reason. I just personally find it uncommon that you were able to go five days without your pain medicine.

Again, if you were able to go five days without your meds, there doesn't seem that titrating/ "weaning" you off would have been necessary.

I wish you the best in your search for another MD.

CTB

peskypain responded:
Sorry to hear of your situation...

The part I am confused about is that when I do my urine test (once a year), the nurse ALWAYS asks me the time I took my last medication.....As well as I bring in my medication in case they need to do a pill count.

Did you not tell them the day you took the test that you hadn't taken your meds in 3 days? I think I am reading your post right in that you were away for 5 days total and had enough medication for a bit but ran out...

As mentioned....since it wasn't crucial for you to find a way back to your house and pick up your meds and you were without them for a few days....the Dr. does assume that you don't need them that badly.

It seems this all could have been avoided if you had just told the nurse and the Dr. the day of your appt. and urine test the story of staying at your parents as well as brought in the bottle with you to show all the extra pills that you did not sell them to someone else.

Or you could have driven to the Drs. after you received the phone call about the test and showed that you had medication leftover which would be true since you missed taking them those days.

You could have also called your Dr. when you didn't have the meds at your parents house and couldn't get back there...To ask about withdrawals or just to let them know...

I'm curious why you did not do any of these things?

But not saying a word about this to anyone only to have your Dr. call a month later unfortunately does make it very suspicious to them as well as show your need for meds isn't that great.

Drs. are under great scrutiny from the states as well as the DEA to provide exact details for every patient on controlled substances. If a urine test comes up clean...they have to explain this in their notes and because nothing was written down the day of the test.....it looks bad. So they have to follow protocol because as I mentioned...that means one of two things when there is a clean urine...Either the patient is selling their meds...and/or they don't need them.

So...I'm not sure why you feel you are "wrongly" accused....you didn't take your meds and the urine test showed this...That is actually fact.

We aren't trying to be mean here...just explaining what took place.

There really isn't much choice except to try and write a letter to this Dr. and even have your parents or other relatives help explain what happened.

Or, try to find another Dr. and move forward...but this will be in your medical records that you need to explain to the next Dr...

The other key is to use all the other modalities for lowering your pain levels so that you don't rely soley on the opiates...

I wish you luck..

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

I live in Arizona
If you drive in Arizona you can goto jail for DUI for any meds in your system, There are no buses where I live. I guess I will just sit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.