Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Need Help with pain at the end of my rope.
    Grumpy4areason posted:
    I had a work injury 3 yrs ago that caused me to get a neck fusion from C4,5,6,7, & T1. 1 yr later a 2nd surgery to remove a bone spur against a pinched nerve "C8", results? none spinal cord to close to site operation to risky sown back up operation canceled. End result? Found out later 3 yrs later the company & workman's comp Dr's failed to mention the 3 disks C1,2,& 3 are also messed up & could not get fixed. My pain is always an 8+ & with the new Florida law only pain clinics can give me pills since PT, Tens units, epidurals & other things have failed. But hear is the catch, Medicaid wont take me, Disability says I am too young to file & as long as I can speak I am employable "Attorney already on it".

    $300 for a legal pain Dr. at florida hospital, + another $70 for meds. I have no help no job cause of this & other health issues what in Gods name are we who are in pain to do? I can't live on like this there must be something I am missing...
    ctbeth responded:
    Dear Grumpy,

    Yes, you really have a lot going on.

    I read your post twice- and very carefully at that.

    If you have been injured three years, you are certainly within the scope of SSDI eligibility.

    Although I do not really understand the quotation marks regarding an attorney, I would suggest that you seek out an attorney who specializes in Social Security Disability. There is no age limitation on disability.

    Questions/ concerns: Have you an attorney for both your Worker's Comp case AND your SSDI filing?

    Have you filed for, and been formally denied SSDI?

    Second: Have you your own private MD? The MD to which worker's comp will send you is NOT on your side! He/ she is paid by worker's comp.

    His/ her job is not to take care of your needs, but to take care of the insurance company's needs to save money and deny you as much care as legally possible.

    Case in point: The wc MD failed to disclose your cervical spine condition. Your own MD would not do this, but discuss the result of any studies.

    Just FYI: C1-2 are also called the Atlas and Axis vertebrae.

    The Atlas is the topmost vertebra, and — along with C2 — forms the joint connecting the skull and spine.

    Its chief peculiarity is that it has no body, and this is due to the fact that the body of the atlas has fused with that of the next vertebrae. This would rule out any herniation at the C1-2 level, as these two vertabrae are naturally fused.

    Do you know what is the pathology of the C1-2?

    C2 or Axis: It forms the pivot upon which C1 rotates. The most distinctive characteristic of this bone is the strong odontoid process (dens) that rises perpendicularly from the upper surface of the body.

    Injuries to the cervical spine are common at the level of the second cervical vertebrae, but neurological injury is uncommon. This is important regarding your C-2 anomaly, whatever it may be.

    Okay, enough anatomy and back to you:

    You have failed at PT, Tens, epidurals (ESI), and "other things". Did Worker's Comp pay for these treatments?

    If so, then the next item would have to be your MD referring you to a pain management MD.

    You definitely NEED an attorney to deal with worker's comp. The wc adjuster is also no friend to you.

    Once you have an attorney for your WC, you will not have to talk to, or deal with the adjuster ever again. Nice right?

    How it may work is as follows: your treating MD (and you can see any MD you wish) should refer you to pain management.

    Worker's comp will probably not approve the referral.

    Your attorney will then file a petition with the WC commissioner for an informal hearing.

    The commissioner will review your medical file, listen to why wc has denied your referral, listen to your atty tell why this referral is necessary.

    The commissioned will, most likely, approve the referral and you will be able to be seen at pain management.

    Would you be willing to tell us a bit more? The more you're willing to discuss, the better others, who have experienced similar situations, can share with you their experience.

    Please don't lose hope yet.

    Grumpy4areason replied to ctbeth's response:
    Yes, Workman's comp settlement was done before my pain Dr. disclosed about my upper neck. My pain Dr. is out of Florida Hospital Pain Management group. With all the pain mills in Florida I wanted someone I knew would be legit. Once workman's comp released me from the case & the pain Dr. I took him on as my personal doctor & that's when it slipped about the rest of my body. At this point I have every symptom a chronic pain sufferer has, memory loss, low T, low libido, ect... I feel like my life is coming to an end with no help in site. I think this is what I might have. : "Tendon and ligament pain: Pains in the tendons or ligaments are often caused by injuries, including include sprains. This type of musculoskeletal pain often becomes worse when the affected area is stretched or moved."

    When my arms & neck tighten up my wife rubbs them & feels something in my arms & neck but mri's ct scans, with & without contrast no one sees a thing.

    What are my options, I will be lucky if by tomorrow I will be able to remember my name.
    liferstudent replied to Grumpy4areason's response:
    I agree with CT Beth
    You need to apply to Social security, get an attorney to do this for you.

    Your pain is probably due to all the surgery. I too have hand, arm, shoulder and neck pain due to past spinal surgeries on C 3/4 to c 6/7. You wouldn't want all the rest of your cervical spine fused or you would not be able to move your neck at all.

    Have you tired acupuncture? I find it helpful. I have also had a spinal stimulator which helped me to cut back on my pain medication by half! Hopefully you have a good pain management physician working with you to find the best solution to your pain with pain medication.

    When I had workman's compensation before I settled. I did talk to my adjuster when I had an attorney. I still talk to him. My settlement included them taking care of my medical costs related to my neck injury forever. This is because I have medicare and medicare certainly doesn't want to be responsible for paying for medical bills that it is not responsible for. Just to let you know I was 38 when I was injured at work and am now 57. I started receiving medicare when I was 40. It certainly made me feel old but was necessary.

    Hope you get the help you need. Just know you are not the only one out there with similar problems! Hang in there and be persistent!
    Grumpy4areason replied to liferstudent's response:
    Yes, I did everything you suggested. SSI Attorney, Acupuncture went bad. The pain management Doctor I was going to under workman's comp. had a acupuncture Doctor since he handled mostly sports injury's. Anyway that Doctor was doing it on my arm & when he poked me around my bicep & forcep area a massive pain shot out & further treatments were canceled due to risk of further injury.

    Just waiting for the Disability judge to render a yeah or nay on my case.

    But the hole reason I am on the end of my rope is because i feel I am losing my mind 10 pain with no relief & it affects people I love around me. I was hoping options other than what I have done already would be mentioned. I just want to die....
    Anon_57995 replied to Grumpy4areason's response:
    Hello again,

    I know that you really do not want to die; you want the pain to go away.

    My heart is sorrowful for you. I think that many, if not most, at one point in our pain journeys, wished to die.

    Is there any way that you can pay the $300. to see the legitimate pain management MD?

    This may be the only way to get you headed in the right direction.

    Regarding prescription pain meds: if you are self-pay, you can ask the MD to prescribe something that is available in generic.

    How about the very temporary measures like heat or cold, Jacuzzi/ hot tub, topicals (I don't use them and do not know their names, but someone here will know) .

    They're not a solution, but a short term fix.

    When is your next MD appt?

    I think this may be your time to really push your care providers. If you have a primary care MD, please print out this discussion and ask him/ her to read it.

    Do keep in touch with us here. I don't know what we can offer you as far as advice, but we can offer support and understanding.

    What is your first name, if you don't mind. I don't want to address you as Mr Grumpy.

    Hang in there. Never lose hope.

    Grumpy4areason replied to Anon_57995's response:
    No way to raise it. If social security would hurry up & tell me my answer at least I would have a goal to look towards but as of today I have been told they have 1 more business month to decide. Because of Florida law only a pain Dr. can write a scrip for them, my PCP is writing combo meds for patients that take them for pain as a paraplegic. Baclofin/Amatripaline, ect...

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.