Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain
nikkita22 posted:
2 months ago I was running 4 miles every other day. Working out in the Gym. Went in for minor surgery, and ended up ruining my back. I had not even seen a Doctor for over ten years with the exception of visiting an urgent care for minor ear infections/flu.

So, recently have been bombarded with PCP, neurologist, neurosurgeons, and now on my way to a pain mgmt clinic.
I have to honestly say, that in 10 years the deterioration I see of the medical profession is mind blowing. I am literally interrupted by my PCP when my 15 minutes are up.

I have spent my time reading the blogs on this, I can tell you good folks that 10 years ago, my Doctor (retired now) actually listened to me, spent time with me. If you were in pain, he treated that pain. He treated the pain until you were out of pain.

I am at a loss, and depressed that now when I go to the pain clinic they are not going to help. I agree with so many of the posts that I am already labeled a drug seeker I guess, refuse to address the pain. What boggles me is that MRI's and CT's dont lie! I am already depressed, and each new Doc depresses me more.
I am re-thinking going to the pain clinic. Looks like your on your own with these problems.

ctbeth responded:
Hello Nikkita22,

May I ask,

You wrote:, "Went in for minor surgery, and ended up ruining my back."

What was the minor surgery and what has happened to your back?

Have you sought legal counsel regarding what has happened to you?

Yes, this is most unfortunate.

Yes, again: doctors treating pain are in a tough situation. We, who need these MDs and long-term pain management are being pushed into a tougher situation.

Treatment of chronic non-cancer pain patients is under attack, some may even say that it is under siege.

Your diagnosis, proposed treatments, ancillary treatment modalities (physical therapy, acupuncture, etc), all play a part, too.

I guess that we can help you most if you don't mind telling us what your injury is, what your MRI shows, and what treatments you have tried, how these have helped, or not helped, and what is being proposed that you do next.

This community has been a tremendous asset for me, especially in the feeling that we are, "...on our own".

Whatever your diagnosis is, I would bet that someone here has the same condition. Whatever treatments are being proposed for you, there is probably someone here who has been through the same, or similar.

Certainly- we know pain.

Please join us and do not feel as if you are alone with these situations.

I know that you and I have taken a different side on one discussion. We are all here to help one another and taking a different side, or thought, on an issue does not hinder our solidarity or friendship/ respect.

we may have different ideas, but we are all here for the same reason(s).

Please tell us more so people who are experiencing, or have experienced, what you are can communicate with you.

You are not alone.

CTB

nikkita22 replied to ctbeth's response:
Hi, thanks for the response. I went in for a neuroma on my foot. A couple of days later, this all started with a shooting pain in my left leg. Progressively got worse spread. 2 months later, neurologist, neurosurgeon, have come up with:

MRI: L3-L4 disk bulging
L4-L5 buldge
L5-S1 paramedian disc herniation 11x9mm.Impingement of the right S1 nerve root

Neurosurgeon: L4 Nerve root compression - spondylosis lumbar w/omyelopathy sciatica
EMG: HNP L5-S1 S1 Radicule pathy

Neurologist says I also have c spine problems not yet gone for CT scan. Arm/hand goes numb, pain there in not too bad.

I am on my way to Pain mgmt in Jan. Im just getting concerned reading the blogs!!!
In any case, I do not know what happened, and I get asked that alot from all these Doctors. I truly do not know. I did not fall.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.