Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What This Commmunity Means To Me:
Anon_57995 posted:
Dear Friends,

I have been hanging around this community for a couple of years.

When I found you, I was housebound and frightened. I met others who were also in the same situation. You gave me hope.

When I had questions and found that my MD could not provide me with an answer that meant anything to me, there was always someone here to help. You gave me comfort.

When I was awake all night with pain, there has always been someone here to make me feel less alone. You gave me dignity,

When I have posted that I am having a tough time, there has always been someone who is here to support me through. You gave me friendship.

I have been fortunate to have made life-long friendships that have their beginnings on in this community.

No matter how alone I may feel, how miserable it can be to be taken out of "normal" life due to pain, surgery, messed-up sleep, I know that there will always be someone who understands.

Living with pain can be a lonely experience; this community has made this hell so-much less intolerable.

Thank you.

foreversore replied to ctbeth's response:
Hmmmm.....I too am a medical professional. My degree isn't as high as yours is Beth, but according to this person I don't want research to occur because without sick people there would be no medical jobs (I don't work anymore either). WELL my take on this is that this person has no clue. We go into this profession not to make money but because we ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT OUR FELLOW MAN! I LOVE to see patients feel better and one of the offices I worked in participated in clinical trials for new medications to help treat our patients. No matter what "cures" science comes up with there will always be a new disorder, condition, syndrome or disease. New bacteria and viruses are found all of the time (mutated versions of the old ones) and new "cures" must be found.

I live in debilitating chronic pain. I have FM and moderate spinal OA and OA of the hips and knees. I know pain, I know loss of sleep and I know every thing that goes along with these and other conditions I have where suffering is concerned. Do I want research to find a way to eliminate these conditions? ABSOLUTELY! Will it put doctors, nurses and other medical professionals out of work? No it wont. We medical professionals are GRATEFUL for research as it allows us to help people and to alleviate suffering where we can. We have come a long way from the chanting, shaking a RATTLE and beads and smoke blowing. But I don't discount any kind of treatment no matter how ancient.

How are medical professionals responsible for the condition you are in? They didn't make you sick or injure you. Just because you aren't getting the treatment you want doesn't mean they caused it. I am not getting the treatment I want and feel I need but I don't blame others for my conditions.

I guess I am just a bit disgusted because we are all here because we suffer from the same thing: CHRONIC PAIN. How do you know how others feel? Are you psychic?

lovehippos responded:
WOW, that is awesome to hear, I'm new on here, wish I
would have found it 5 yrs ago !
Thanks,,,,Amy

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.