Skip to content
    Pain in stomach and intestine area
    An_249559 posted:
    My husband has Celiac Disease, poly neuropathy, diabetes, heart problems. He has several specialist doctors. The diabetes-Endocrinology doctor has him on Lantus and homolog to decrease his glucose level, which has been in the upper 100's to the upper 200's. He has been diabetic for 48 years. For the past few days he has been in a lot of pain in his stomach, intestine area and can not have a bowel movement, even though he had been getting diarrhea a lot lately. What can he do for this pain, it's been consistent and severe at times. He has been strict with the Celiac diet. He has no energy and naps a lot during the day and at times can't sleep at night because of the pain. He has a lot going on in his body right now, and being the holidays it is hard to get in touch with doctors and he doesn't want to go to the ER. Any suggestions that I can do? He also has been taking antacid to help.
    Anon_57995 responded:
    Dear Friend and caring wife,

    Yes, it is not the best time to need to speak to your husband's doctor, but I would think that this may be exactly what you must do.

    If his MD isn't on call, there should be someone covering for him/ her.

    We cannot diagnose or anything like that. We're online and a community of people who live with pain.

    From what you have said, masking your husband's pain may not be such a great idea. Pain is a way that the body tells us that something is wrong and requires attention.

    PLEASE call his MD or get husband to the ER.

    Let us know, okay?

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Fentanl Transdermal patch system (WARNING)
    Hello; If you or someone you knows is on this system please advise them if they didn't already know to never i mean never alter the patch ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    90 of 137 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.