Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pain pills need to know where to start
Lumbee posted:
Taking 40 pills a day lorcet 10 need advise I desire too stop and every time I start I fail. It takes 12 pills every 4 hrs. Someone pleaasev
Peter Abaci, MD responded:

This is a situation that needs to be treated urgently because you are exposing your liver to toxic levels of acetaminophen. I think you need to go to whatever hospital, addiction treatment program, or pain management center that can help you the quickest to transition off of the Lorcet. One medication that I have found to be helpful with difficult transitions like this is buprenorphine. Consider looking for a doctor in your area who is trained or licensed to prescribe buprenorphine as a potential option for help.

Your primary care physician should be able to help with a referral if you need assistance and your liver function lab work should also be checked.
cweinbl responded:
Why are you taking them? What are they, in addition to "Lortab?" How many different physicians prescribed these medications?

If you're not exaggerating, then your health is in danger. Only cancer patients take that many medications and only for a brief period of time. At the very least, you are at risk for permanent liver or renal failure. Ask your doctor for a referral to a drug abuse clinic or at least a pain management program.

I'm a firm believer in having just one physician prescribe all of your medications. That eliminates the potential for too much medication, serious or even fatal drug interactions and addiction disorder.

Get help immediately, before the damage is too severe.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Gall bladder
Two years ago. I was experiencing a piercing pain dead center of the chest .it was like someone was taking their finger and pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.