Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I get sick from Pain Meds too...any suggestions?
Anon_41638 posted:
and for the person who said on one post to another person "is it anxiety?" uh, no....with two rotator cuff surgeries, ankle surgery and a few other minor ones, I wretch when coming out of anesthesia, and if I take any codeine, demerol, percocet,vicodin etc....within 8 hours its dry heaves and a hung over miserable feeling, so not anxious at all, unless you count the anxiety I feel with dry heaves over the toilet...and the feeling of having drank a 5th of alcohol to go with it...

and with demerol pump after surgery, I had to ask for compozine, and with that I felt like I was coming "down" off of something. The only thing I could tolerate with all my surgeries is toradol.
So for the one who said, maybe its anxiety, the only anxiety I feel is I wish I could take pain meds.

Lets just say I over the last million years I have been alive have had to come up with a high pain tolerance and work with it.
Yes, Pot would be nice, if I did do pot, but since I do have to have some cognitive skills, I cant do that all the time.

Doans pills, and buffered asprin seem to work great, maybe the magnesium to boost it?

any ideas from anyone else on how to deal with chronic or post operative pain if you aren't "into" harder drugs?
I do know about meditation, herbal alternatives, etc..I do know about concentration, spirituality etc...anyone know of any other OTC meds besides the usual Advils, Tylenols etc? I mean like stuff to use "off label"

forgetful88 responded:
I have to have ani nausea medication after every surgery...even then I puke for 24hrs after anesthesia. I have had 9 surgeries & it never fails. I puke...

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
The best place to start with preventing the nausea is with your anesthesiologist. He/She can help come up with a plan to use anesthetics with less risk of inducing post-operative nausea. Some anesthetics are less problematic than others. In addition, regional nerve blocks, epidural blocks, or spinals are also options to consider under the appropriate circumstances as tools to help minimize the need for general anesthesia during surgery and to provide added relief after the surgery is over.

Even then, some folks are extra sensitive and certainly practicing some of the alternative techniques that you mentioned like meditation have been shown to be helpful. If the compazine makes you feel icky, ask if you can be given Zofran instead, as it is usually well-tolerated.

Make sure you get to talk to your anesthesiologist ahead of time about these issues so that things get off on the right foot from the get-go.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.