Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    pelvic pain
    crazymommyof4 posted:
    I delivered a baby 6 weeks ago and had D&C surgery a week and a half later. My pelvic bones started hurting the last few months of pregnancy. It hurts on the inside of my left leg, it feels kindof like it is out of place. My doctor said I may need physical theropy. What about a chiropractor?
    Anon_57995 responded:
    Dear Mommyoffour,

    Since you are seeing an MD for this and the MD has suggested PT, perhaps this is the proper place to begin.

    If you want to go to a chiropractor, then do so.

    You do not need a referral to go to a chiro.

    Since you just had a baby six weeks ago, your body is not completely recovered from this.
    annette030 responded:
    Give your body a chance to heal. I would give the PT a chance to help your body, then see where you stand.


    Take care, Annette
    Peter Abaci, MD responded:
    Working with a physical therapist sounds like a good place to start. During your pregnancy and delivery, your body went through a lot of changes, and this can put a lot of stress and strain on some of the muscles, nerves, and ligaments in your pelvis. On top of that, there can be a lot swelling of the tissues during and after this process that can further aggravate symptoms. Many of these issues can be expected to heal over time, but a physical therapist can help move this process along.

    If the pain persists, sometimes this is due to nerve irritation that took place during the birthing process. An example of this would involve the pudendal nerve which can create persistent pelvic pain after delivery. Cyclists sometimes irritate this nerve, as well. Physical therapy can help treat this.

    Of note, some physical therapists may have expertise in treating pelvic floor problems while many others may not. I think it would be worth your while trying to work with somebody who has a background with this if at all possible.
    mamamags76 responded:
    Last year I went to a Physical Therapist for the first time. I had a pain in my stomach that many doctors couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I switched doctors and described my syptoms to her and immediately she suggested PT. She said women that have had children often have misalligned pelvis' and it can hit a nerve which carries around to the stomach. Sure enough on my first PT appointment it was discovered my pelvis was 2 inches off on my right side. The Physical therapist was able to pop it back in place at that first appointment and I have not had any trouble since. I lived with that for 16 years it was awful. I am not 8 months pregnant and experiencing the pain you are having and as soon as I am able I will be going back to PT, it really helps! Good luck.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.