Skip to content
Post-operative Nausea
Anon_132656 posted:
Since I first had anesthesia with my wisdom teeth being removed as a teen, I have had post-anesthetic nausea, EVERY single time. Back surgery, hysterectomy, even after a colonoscopy. Like others stated, it's awful. Imagine vomiting with fresh sutures in your back, and after a hysterectomy - horrifying! Like advised, I spoke to the anesthesiologist - didn't matter - still puked my guts out for hours afterward. I also was told by one surgeon, "it's not the anesthetic, it's "anxiety" - BULL! I have one daughter who has the same problem, the other daughter - no problems at all (like my husband). There has got to be some better protocol of meds to truly help with this issue some people like us have??

annette030 responded:
Part of my pre-operative care was a RX drug for nausea, the doctor gave me several rectal suppositories. Many years ago my son got the same thing for his post op nausea. These RXs were given to both of us before surgery, me by my surgeon (in Oregon) and my son by his anesthesiologist (in Calif.). Phenergan was the name of the drug both times. Old, cheap, and easy. My son used his after one surgery, but not the other, I filled mine, but never needed it.

I had vomiting after getting IV morphine when I had surgery once, but we knew it was the morphine, the nurse gave it slower and I did much better.

Who cares what causes the nausea, drugs or anxiety, fix it.

Take care, Annette

mobo79 replied to annette030's response:
I was also given pre-operative nausea drugs but they didn't work. I have never been offered the suppositories, but will definitely ask next time (hoping any next times are a long way off). I have never had morphine so it's not that. Thanks for the "pearl"....

annette030 replied to mobo79's response:
In our cases, pre-operative just means we were given the RXs for the meds ahead of time. We were instructed to use them as needed after the surgery if we had nausea.

My son was five years old when he had his first surgery, he had a second surgery when he was nine and just told the anesthesiologist to give "mom the RX for the gross medicine she sticks in my butt for throwing up". What a way with words, and at such a young age....

It is terrible being an RN with such a smart kid.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.