Skip to content
I need help with an unknown disease with chronic pain
JPurd posted:
I'm new to this so I'm sorry if my post is long, but I'm at my wits end and I just don't know what to do anymore.[br>[br>I'm a 22 year old male and have been experiencing chronic pain since I was 15. The pain is mostly in my thighs and lower back, and occasionally my triceps. Its hard to describe how it feels; there will be sharp, long lines of pain that run down my thighs and/or an overall pain that covers the whole area, it fluctuates in intensity and frequency but its there everyday. I also involuntarily curl my wrists and feet all of the time without realizing, I think it's because of this constriction I feel in my muscles or tendons.[br>I have been to every doctor under the sun and they just cannot find out what the problem is.[br>When I was 17 I had a biopsy done of a thigh muscle (which was negative) and they gave me vicodin after. I had never taken painkillers before so when I took these I was surprised that my all of my pain went away. My plan was to take these until a doctor can find some kind of treatment, but I just finished going to a doctor at the NYU Medical Hospital (who taught most of the other doctors I had been to) and he cannot find the problem so now I've given up on that. Every doctor agrees that it is an autoimmune disease, possibly multiple diseases.[br>I have other symptoms too, such as muscle spasms (that aren't painful, but they're very frequent and isolated).[br>This tense, constricting feeling that I get in my legs is sometimes worse than the pain itself because it makes lay or sit in a contorted position. The vicodin takes care of that as well.[br>I've been taking 1 Norco (10mg Hydrocodone, 325mg Acetaminophen) 4 times a day for about 5 years now.[br>It fogs my mind too much and I can't focus in school. I've always been a fairly intelligent person and my grades were good; now I'm failing because I can't pay attention while my mind is clouded and because the pain is distracting, but I think the main reason is that after all these years I've become very depressed and pessimistic, especially when I think about how I will probably have this pain for the rest of my life. I can't maintain a relationship because I just want to lay in bed all day so I can deal with the pain in a controlled environment such as my room.[br>[br>Currently I'm weaning myself off the Vicodin (because I desperately want my clarity back) and I plan on going to a film academy for school by the end of the year and I can't be on these drugs while I'm there, but I don't know if I can succeed while in such pain.[br>Does anybody have a similar situation? Does anyone know of any supplements that might help with this problem? [br>I'm giving it all I have to get off these painkillers but the pain is too intense sometimes.[br>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[br>Thank you for your time.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

medication
Hi! I hope this finds you feeling better I know finding the right meds are hard. I agree with fentanyl being strong...have they ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.