Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dealing with pain from and unknown disease
JPurd posted:
I'm new to this so I'm sorry if my post is too long. I just don't know what to do anymore.

I'm a 22 year old male and I've been in chronic pain since I was 15.
The pain is mostly in my thighs and lower back. It's hard to describe but I have these long sharp lines of pain in my thighs thats mixed in with this general pain that covers the area. My thighs feel very tense and constricted all of the time, which can be worse than the pain. This also causes me to curl my feet and tense up my legs together. I curl my wrists as well, I never do this intentionally.
I have other symptoms too; I get little muscle spasms throughout my body, they don't hurt but they are frequent and isolated. I also have mild psoriasis of the nails.
I've been on Norco for about 5 years now; I take 1 of them 4 times a day (10 mg of Hydrocodone and 325 mg of Acetaminophen). These help with the pain but they also help with the constricting of my thighs and legs, which is the worst part.
My plan has always been to take these painkillers until I can get a diagnosis from a doctor and get some treatment. After 7 years of going to different doctors they've always concluded that it most likely is some sort of autoimmune disease but really they have no idea. I recently finished seeing a doctor at the NYU Medical Hospital (who was even the teacher for some of the other doctors I've been to) and he just can't figure it out. So now I've given up on a diagnosis.
All of this has negatively affected my life in such a way that I can't get anything done anymore.
I've been weaning myself off of the Norco lately. It clouds my mind too much. I went to a local college for filmmaking and I started out doing great, but these drugs combined with depression from the pain, have made me pessimistic and apathetic and as a result my grades are awful. I started out with a 3.8 GPA, now I don't even care enough to look at it but at most its a 2.0.
I love to writing, but the Norco hinders my creativity. I can't maintain a relationship because all I want to do is lay in bed so I can deal with the pain in a controlled environment.
These are just a few ways that this has been affecting me and I need help.
If anyone has any suggestions on what my next move should be, it would be greatly appreciated, whether its recommendations on supplements or exercises, or to go for homeopathic remedies, anything, I just don't know what to do anymore.
I plan on going to the New York Film Academy next fall and I need to be off the Norco and I need to learn to deal with this pain if I am to have any hopes at succeeding.
Thank you for your time and I'll answer any questions you might have.

annette030 responded:
First thing you should do in my mind is find a good therapist and get on a better footing mentally. You sound really depressed. Laying in bed, your grades dropping down. It is too easy to blame depression on pain. It is also far easier to treat the depression than it might be to successfully treat the pain. Trust me, you can live with pain.

Then deal with the Norco. Talk to your doctor about getting off of them if that is what you decide to do. He will find a way for you to treat the pain, if you don't like your present doctor, find a new one.

Take care, Annette

PS- That is just my take on things, it may not be yours, and that is okay.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.