Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Rib Fracture/Break - Hidden Dangers?
An_249785 posted:
I sustained a rib injury during a fall. I was carrying my two year old and tripped on steps. When I started to fall I craddled/braced her, sheilding her from impact, but landed full force with my weight, her weight and a backpack right on the edge of the steps with my left side, rib area. Also, I am 5 months pregnant.My two year old is completely fine. I was in excruiciating pain. Went to the ER. Baby is fine, but they couldn't Xray. I know there is no fix for the ribs even if they are broken, and I have slowly become more mobile, but its almost two weeks out I am now in more pain. I went from only having pain upon quick movement or sitting up/laying down to almost near constant pain in my rib and chest area now. I am not coughing up or peeing blood (which they told me to look out for) but I feel as if my pain is getting worse. Sneezing, coughing and laughing are completely out of the question or I will end up in tears. Just want to know if there might be a more serious issue going on, or if this is just the normal healing process for potentially fractured/broken ribs. Thanks so much for any input!

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

The only way to know for sure what is causing your pain is to discuss all your symptoms with your doctor. If your pain is increasing, you need to tell that to your doctor and see what they can do for you. Has your ob/gyn been involved in your treatment for this injury? If not, it would be wise to bring them into the process.

I pray you can get answers and relief soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

JCBEsq replied to davedsel57's response:
I was immediately evaluated by the ob-gyn staff at the hospital - before they even let me into the actual ER! They did every test possible and the baby is totally fine. I followed up with my own ob-gyn via phone, they made some suggestions, said it would heal on its own. Had another previously scheduled ultrasound yesterday, everything was 100% fine with the baby. Its high enough up where I don't think anyone is concerned about the baby. Just in a lot of pain myself. I have a call into my primary care doctor now. Just concerned its somehow getting worse. I can tolerate the pain, just don't want to miss anything in the process of trying to be a martyr. Plus its hurting indifferent places that it started in.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.