Skip to content
upper somach pain
mel1972 posted:
my 7 year old daughter is complaining of upper stomach pain. after going to the doctor today to draw blood for testing (unsuccessful) we left. The pediatrician also wants to put her on Zantac(liquid) I am not fond of medicines especially long term meds. The other option is to skip blood work and have a scope done. the pain is never daily ...comes and goes and could be weeks at a time before it appears. Any sugggestions?
davedsel57 responded:

What did the doctor test for in the blood work?

If it were my child, I would go ahead and have the scope done. It is not a pleasant procedure at all, but could be the only way to get an accurate diagnosis and ultimate relief. I've had the procedure done and they gave me a sedative that pretty much completely put me to sleep. My results were erosion in the esophagus due too acid reflux disease. The doctor prescribed a strong acid blocking medication (Nexium) and my symptoms improved in a few months. I do still take a weaker form (Omeprazole) every night before bed.

I am not a doctor, and we can not diagnose, but it sounds to me like acid reflux. The sporadic symptoms could be because of what your daughter eats. Certain foods trigger symptoms.

I pray you can get the answers and relief your daughter needs soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.



Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
47 of 52 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.