Skip to content
pain meds
trino posted:
currently take tramadol but it's not working for me,i have spinal stenosis and i am allergic to opiates,i need to find me a pain med that is non narcotic and stronger than tramadol
peskypain responded:
It is very unusual for someone to actually be "allergic" to all opiates.

If I can ask a few questions..

Have you tried every single one from Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Tylenol 3 with codeine, Morphine, Methadone, Nucynta, Opana, and Suboxone? These are all different.

Many people think that codeine and the "codone" pills are the same and they are not.

If you had fatigue, headache or even nausea and itching...these would all just be side effects of medication which normally will subside after a month or so being on them.

A true allergic reaction would be hives, throat closing, and trouble breathing to where you need to be seen in the ER. That is why I was wondering as it is rare to have this happen for every single "opiate" as you have stated.

If for some reason you have tried everything that I listed...then there are NSAIDs, Steroids, Muscle relaxers, or Nerve pain meds that you can try all based on what is the cause of your chronic pain.

Most people with spine issues (myself included) are on a nerve pain medication as the typical pain meds do not really work well for this type of pain.

What dosage are you on of the Tramadol and how long have you been taking it?

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Gall bladder
Two years ago. I was experiencing a piercing pain dead center of the chest .it was like someone was taking their finger and pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.