Skip to content
Getting off pain meds
lanette1962 posted:
I have recently moved and went to see a pain managemnt DR that is more up to date then my pain management dr in my other state. He said every 2 years a person on oxycontin needs to have their system cleaned out in order to reset the reciptators in your body. I agree now I have had time to think about it. makes sense. I have lived with chronic pain since 2005 2006 it got worse and spread threw my body.
I am lookingforwaed to see if my body can handle what pain it has. But I am also scared of hurting like I did without my pain meds. But how will I know how it will be unless I try. It is like having to start over because he needs to see for himself in order to take over my treatment. I understand he is like in the middle of my medical records and need to be sure himself if pain meds are right for my treatment. I hope I don't have a hard time getting off these in a 4 month trial period as he told me. Anybody with suggestions to help cope mentally and physically?

lizzie628 responded:
There are both ups and downs to gettng off of your pain medication regime. I detoxed off of 75 mg. of methodone to switch to suboxone when I was trying to get sober. Depending on how long you've been taking pain medication, (all it takes it about 1-2 years of less), your detox will most likely last 3-4 months. I can understand wanting to be free of tethers to medication, especially pain pills. Oxycontin, among others, are opiates, and nearly impossible to detox off of. There are, of course, doctors that will work with you specificaly on tapering off the pills you take. I found a great suboxone perscriber in my are, but this may not be the right step for you. I would reccomend googling doc's in your area that specialize in the area you seek.

ctbeth responded:
Hi Lanette,
Has your new MD discussed a tapering down vs a quick withdrawal with medical support (meds to lessen the withdrawal symptoms)?

I have been on a taper for the last month and have reduced my MSC from 210 mg/day to 120 mg/day.

The pain is worse, but I did not experience any withdrawal.
The plan now is a medically-supported abrupt withdrawal, but to get me to a fairly low does (relative) before doing this.

For the 90 days with no pain meds, I have prepared my family and few really close friends. I know that I'm going to need more help with things like housekeeping (definitely!), shopping, driving, and more.

Since I am fairly certain that I will not be feeling well, to have others prepared to assist me in ways that I worry about things that I just will not be able to do.

I'm eager to get this over with and hope that my tolerance will, indeed, decrease.

Please keep us updated of your progress.

CTB

annette030 responded:
I am a believer in cognitive behavioural therapy, and meditation. I am also a believer in drugs, lol. Do whatever you think is best for you.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to ctbeth's response:
Best of luck to you, Beth. I will think good thoughts for you. You keep in touch too!

Hugs, Annette

77grace responded:
Hi lanette1962,
I have been right where you are now!!!!I have Chronic pain and have for about 30 years<On meds now for about 12 years!About 6 months ago I went off my pain meds !It was very hard because I did not not taper but I did go into a treatment place that helped with the detox!Long story,but they gave me the Suboxone to soon and that made the withdrawel much worse!!MY Body was jumping and I was vvery bad for a few days!!Thenwithdrawels stopped and For about 4 months I stAed off!But I took Suboxone ,they were hoping it would be enough to help my pain!No such luck,so I finally gave in and went back on pain meds!They did work much better!!I probally should do it again but MY pain is unbearaBLE AT TIMES! ANYWAY,just give it a try and use every other thing you can!Tens unit,Ice ,medattion,heat !Maybe ask him about Saboxone and see what he thinks !It doers help some!
77grace

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.