Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
opiate dependent and Hep C postive. HELP!
An_249937 posted:
I am 20 years old, and I have just been diagnosed with hepatitis C. I am also a recovered heroin addict, but I'm on suboxone. How does this affect my liver? What should I do in order to manage both my opiate treatment plan and my hepatitis C? any suggestions?

ctbeth responded:
Hi from Connecticut,

We really cannot give out medical advice, but we are really good for support.

My suggestion is that you schedule an appt with your MD. Some times, it is best to write your questions down before the appt, lest you forget.

Also, with Hep C, a nutritionist may be quite beneficial to see, as nutrition makes a big difference in coping with liver disorder/ disease.

Best to you.

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
Buprenorphine is the generic name of the active ingredient in Suboxone. Suboxone comes mixed with buprenorphine and the opioid receptor blocker naloxone. It appears that from the studies done to look at how buprenorphine can affect liver function when used by patients with hepatitis C that it is safe. Published studies have found no evidence that using buprenorphine in this setting elevated liver enzymes which suggests that it isn't putting the liver at any increased risk when used. If you are interested, here is a link to one published study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21170166.

Small studies have also been done on hepatitis C patients taking the combination of buprenorphine and naloxone as is the case with folks prescribed Suboxone, and again it appeared safe.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Opana and sweating
I take Opana ER, Vicodin, Soma for arthritis pain and compressed nerve root. I also take Zoloft and Klonopin for depression and anxiety. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.