Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New here. Came for Spinal Cord Stimulator info.
IamIrene posted:
Someone who comes here suggested this site for me.
She's here so she can see that I took her advice LOL
I have been taking methadone for pain for almost a year and was using the fentenyl patch before then.
The patch really made my skin under the patch so red and itchy. Then I used cortisone cream under the patch and it didn't stick as well and fell off.
After I lost one my doctor offered Methadone which is okay.
Now my doc has talked to me about a spinal cord stimulator.
I know one person who has this and she loves it.
My doctor also gave me pamphlets from the company.
This info makes it sound like a miracle.
I hope that others who have one and like it and those who don't like it will tell me a little about what it's like.
How much does it help the pain?
Is the surgery to have the trial and the real surgery really painful?
Is it possible to get off your pain meds?
All I have heard so far is positive things which is great, but I'd like to know the whole story before I eve try the trial.
My pain is in my back and one leg.
I had back surgery and still have pain. Lumbar discectomy and laminectomy was in 2010.
Also, we do not have children yet and asked my doctor is I could use the spinal cord stim. through pregnancy.
She said that it should be okay, but no research is done on pregnant women and that she hasn't had a patient go through a pregnancy with on. There's not many shopping days left till Christmas if you know what I mean-
I know that I don't want to take Methadone while pregnant, so if this works it could help me get through a pregnancy while living with chronic pain.
I am not pregnant now.
My surgery and pain meds have had to put it off, but I'm not getting any younger.
I know that I am asking alot, but my mind is spinning with all this going on.
Thanks so much.
Reena

leejcaroll responded:
I had a dorsal column stim implant but it was for facial pain. It helped about 85% of my pain.
I met a child with CP who went from being barely able to walk to being able to run as a result of the stimulator.
In the scheme of things it is a pretty benign surgery.
IIt has been many years since I had it =, 26 years ago.
I lost it to an infection unrelated to the implant, a second one could not be placed in the exact same area so it did not help. I also lost that to an infection, again unrelated to the implant (the 1st infection was after I had 2 surgeries at once, to replace the battery and re-place a wire that had moved and it was just too much at once, the second I had a friend with a severe staph infection and it appears I caught it from him - this was shortly after placement of the implant)
I had a 100% experimental implant placed in my brain in 91. It failed a few months back (although I have turned it back on and it may now be working, it is too early to tell).
My company is Medtronic and they tell me no one has had one in as long as I have so there is no data on whether they fail after a certain length of time or not. (I could have it redone but since it is in the brain, attached to the covering actually, I am wary of doing that.)
Very long answer but I wanted to give you a full disclosure.
(as for the meds I reduced mine greatly, from having constant pain as well as spontaneous severe lightning type pain and also triggered by any touch, my disorder is called trigeminal neuralgia, a facial pain disorder, to only having the pain that was in my one eye from any eye usage. I went from up to 14 grains of codeine a day to less then 3, and only that when I was doing eye work, like reading, computer, etc.
I am a proponent of the stimuklator so I really have nothing bad to say about it. For me it was literally a life saver.
I wish you very good luck and think it is worth investigating.
Carol

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.