Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    What do these symptoms mean
    Beachmeanywhere posted:
    A month ago I fell and experienced whiplash, went to Chiropractor for 3 weeks approx 2x weekly. Felt a lot better. Now have woken up with stiff neck and joint pain and intense lower back pain. Have had sweating at night. Any ideas?
    cweinbl responded:
    Going to a chiropractor with an undiagnosed spine injury can turn into a lifelong pain & severe disability mistake. Chiropractors are NOT physicians. They do not attend medical school. They do not complete a residency and/or fellowship. They cannot prescribe medication. And for you, the largest problem is that a chiropractor cannot prescribe the best imaging tests (CAT-scan, myelogram, MRI, etc.). Diagnosis preceeds treatment. When a chiropractor treats a spinal injury, she or he is in the dark because the tests mentioned above are not ordered and correctly interpreted. You're much better off seeing a real doctor - someone with the letters "MD" after his or her name. If you go to a physician and you are professionally diagnosed with a soft tissue injury, not including a herniated disc or spinal stenosis, then you may go to a chiropractor to your heart's content. If I were you, I would obtain a referral to a competent neurosurgan or orthopedic surgeon. Get diagnosed. Then decide what to do with the MD. If the MD recommends a chiropractor, you'll know that additional damage by the chiropractor is unlikely. Look, nothing is more important than your health. Right? Why trust it to someone who never attended or graduated from medical school (chiropractor)?

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.