Skip to content
What do these symptoms mean
Beachmeanywhere posted:
A month ago I fell and experienced whiplash, went to Chiropractor for 3 weeks approx 2x weekly. Felt a lot better. Now have woken up with stiff neck and joint pain and intense lower back pain. Have had sweating at night. Any ideas?
cweinbl responded:
Going to a chiropractor with an undiagnosed spine injury can turn into a lifelong pain & severe disability mistake. Chiropractors are NOT physicians. They do not attend medical school. They do not complete a residency and/or fellowship. They cannot prescribe medication. And for you, the largest problem is that a chiropractor cannot prescribe the best imaging tests (CAT-scan, myelogram, MRI, etc.). Diagnosis preceeds treatment. When a chiropractor treats a spinal injury, she or he is in the dark because the tests mentioned above are not ordered and correctly interpreted. You're much better off seeing a real doctor - someone with the letters "MD" after his or her name. If you go to a physician and you are professionally diagnosed with a soft tissue injury, not including a herniated disc or spinal stenosis, then you may go to a chiropractor to your heart's content. If I were you, I would obtain a referral to a competent neurosurgan or orthopedic surgeon. Get diagnosed. Then decide what to do with the MD. If the MD recommends a chiropractor, you'll know that additional damage by the chiropractor is unlikely. Look, nothing is more important than your health. Right? Why trust it to someone who never attended or graduated from medical school (chiropractor)?

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.