Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
St Jude Medical spinal stimulator
Tjanus posted:
Hi all! I had a mini stim implant on 8/28/12.had problems with wire inserted in t8 for lower back an left leg pain do to injury of ll4-l5 .In about two months the wire had broken an shocked the hell out of me ,I could not move ontill my wife brought my magnet to shout it off.So on 1/14/13 had a surgery to replace new wire put in .I was told that they were going to change the mini implant the day of surgery,I did not think of it at that time and let them change it. Come to find out 1/23/13 while watching tv seen a commercial that there is a recall on mini implant.

ctbeth responded:
Hi Tjanus,

The recall is on some of the St Jude's EON mini units.

You should have the serial number of your implant in your records. If you do not have the info at hand, your surgeon will be able to give you that info.

Go to the SJM site and check if your unit is among the re-called.

Are you experiencing any problems charging the new EON mini?

http://www.sjm.com/corporate/media-room/media-kits/new-products/eon-mini.aspx

Tjanus replied to ctbeth's response:
So far so good ,I do have serial number an modle number. Went to sjm an checked it out did not fall in the numbers,so don't know the reason they change the unit but they did.The main reason was the wire between the unit an paddle had fractured. Hope that don't happen again.Still healing only two weeks out. Since the change.

ctbeth replied to Tjanus's response:
Hi again,

Maybe they had to change the entire thing to be certain that the broken wire wouldn't happen again.

The TV "commercials" that I have seen are all from law practices that specialize in class-action suits.

I am aware of one person who has filed a law suit against SJM.

She also claims that she has "radiation sickness" from her SCS, that her body is "rejecting the battery", and that the short circuit in her battery was making her unable to use her arms and legs, and that the "battery case has cracked".

I cannot imagine that any atty would take THAT client!!

Don't worry, LOL. There is no danger of any of those things happening.

The re-call is voluntary. SJM initiated it themselves.

The problem mostly expresses itself as the battery not holding a charge and/ or the battery feeling hot upon turning it on.

The immediate danger is for those of us who lack sensation in the area of the implant. We don't realize that the battery is heated.

If the battery feels hot, just turn it off. No radiation, no effects to the arms and legs, no cracked battery case.

If your unit is among the faulty ones implanted, SJM will contact you. The problem is a micro short in a weld deep inside the battery.

By now, there should not be any of the faulty units being implanted.

How are you doing post-op?

Are you liking the sensations?

I have had a St Jude'd Genesis (non-rechargeable battery) for over-five years.

I have had a few battery replacements and had the entire unit replaced in 2011.

I LOVE it!

Try not to worry, ok?

If you want to be double sure that you have a non-faulty unit, call the surgeon who implanted it. I would think that he/ she can give you the answer.

Please, please, ignore the hoop-la and those who embellish little matters for maximum attention.

Tjanus replied to ctbeth's response:
Hi,Beth Just checking in ,everything seems to be healing well. I still have some pain at the insition site but at least I can keep it on all the time now. I need to have a agustment soon because its not going all the way down the left leg like it was last time.I will be going to pm on feb 7 I will get it done then.

ctbeth replied to Tjanus's response:
Hi TJ!

I am so pleased that you wrote.

You're about three weeks post-op now, right?

I think we discussed this, and the rep may have told you, that the sensations may/ will probably change and you may require a few adjustments during the first three months or so As the inflammation subsides, the sensations will change.

For me, both times, it took about three months until I got the optimum sensation and the proper coverage.

It saddens me when someone has had the implant for a few weeks and he/ she claims to hate it, hate the sensations, complain that the area of coverage is wrong.

I implore then to be patient. Sometime they'll take heed to my words and speak to their MD or rep; other times they have their mind and heart set on having it explanted without giving the technology a chance to respond to their changing surgical site.

So, keep up the good healing work and please be patient.

It can be so worth it.

Please keep in touch, ok?

BET

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.