Skip to content
Making progress!
foreversore posted:
Well, I went to my appointment the other day and saw my doctor instead of the nurse practitioner. We made a lot of changes to my medications, we dropped everything except for my Klonopin for RLS and he put me on Soma. So far, once I get to the point where I can fall asleep, the Soma helps my stay asleep. I don't wake up in pain every time I roll over and the muscle spasms are now gone. His office is supposed to call me tomorrow with a referral to a neurologist for an EMG of my lower extremities and a consult for a spinal cord stimulator.

When I talk to them I will let them know we are getting there but I need some day time pain relief for the neck/back/joint pain that the Soma doesn't cover. Hopefully it will only be temporary if the SCS is a success I am hoping I can (maybe) eliminate the need for pain medication.

While I am sleeping better and longer of course with fibro I still don't feel well rested when I get up and I still have the morning stiffness. I do however feel that we are finally on the right road to getting my pain under control so I can be the best me that I can be.

ctbeth responded:
Hi my friend, Forever!

I am so, so, so happy to read that you're doing better.

And you sound so positive, too.

I think you know that I have a spinal cord stimulator. There are lots of discussions on the SCS here, too.

I was able to reduce my pain meds by over 60% within the first six months after the SCS implant.

I cannot tell you how much it has changed my life, and for the positive.

If you get to the point that you're going to have the trial, I'll post my email address and send you my phone number, if you'd like to talk about it with someone who has the system, or have particular questions.

So, your MD's office is going to call you tomorrow with an appt for a neurologist.

Please, don't worry!!!

You have probably heard that the EMG is uncomfortable. Yeah, it is, but it's not THAT bad and nothing for you to fear.

Please stay in touch, ok?

Thank you so much for keeping us updated.

CTB

foreversore replied to ctbeth's response:
Thanks, Beth! And yes I am sure we will be discussing SCS a lot in the future as 2 surgeons have declined actual surgery. I feel as though I am half way to having my pain under control and at least now I can sleep. It still takes me a long time to fall asleep due to pain but once I get there I can get a good 6-8 hours now.

I had an EMG of my upper body 2 years ago which was negative and I didn't think it hurt at all compared to the pain I was already in but I have heard that the lower body EMG is a lot worse but that too shall pass and I will have more answers when it's done.

All I ask for is answers as to my body's self destruction and adequate pain relief a simple request in my book and thankfully I think between my regular doc and the neuro I may just get there. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting a little bit brighter for sure!

ctbeth replied to foreversore's response:
It's so nice to hear that you're doing so much better. You sure have the right attitude!

Keep us posted, ok?

I sure will Beth my dear!

WOW! Neurology got me in FAST! My appointment is for this coming Thursday morning.

Hi Forever,

Thanks so much for the update.

I am so happy for you.

Promise that you'll tell on, on Thursday, how the appt goes, OK?

Would you be willing to share your first name, just so I can address you that way. If you don't wish to, no problem.

You have such a great attitude about this.

I hope that the appt will go well.

XO,

Bet

I can'y wait to have more answers and even more hope for better relief! I will be sure to pop on to post after my appointment!

Jenifer

Hi Jenifer!
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

xo,

Bet

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Fibromyalgia Pain
I had a lot of pain in my lower back. The doctor diagnosed it as Fibromyalgia. He prescribed lyrica which works really well. I still have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.