Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
what can i do???
someadvice posted:
I've been on pain med's since 2005, I recently tested positive for heroine (6-mono-acetylmorphine), I've never, ever have done this narcotic. What can I do? Can someone give me some advice or recommend a good doctor?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

lorigibs40734 responded:
Have them test you again... some otc meds will give a false positive on a simple urine test. Tell them exactly what kind, if any, otc (over the counter) you've been taking and have them test you again.

Good luck to you!

Lori

Anon_57995 responded:

The standard urine dip test can detect opiates, but cannot distinguish between Codeine, Morphine or Heroin (probably other closely structured compounds--hydroC & hydroM).

Strange opioids like fentanyl, and bupe generally don't show up on the opiate panels though.

Once the opiate panel is positive, then it can be sent for GC or MS for confirmation and determination of the drug(s)' metabolite present.

Heroin created in clandestine laboratories (jungle labs) will have many by-products in it due "short-cuts" in production made to save money. I think tar is the result of one particular "short-cut" in the process, but since people still buy it, they'll keep making it.

Anyway, whereas pharmaceutical heroin should be 97 almost pure heroin, illicit heroin will likely contain the following:

3,6-diacetylmorphine,
6-monoacetylmorphine,
morphine,
acetylcodeine,
codeine
and probably some other alkaloids of the opium poppy

I am under the belief that it is the presence of these other drugs (their metabolites, actually) that can be detected by GC or MS after a positive urine stick test.

I have no idea about the time range for these things.

A GC test or hair follicle test can differentiate the unique metabolites, rather than a positive or negative.

77grace replied to Anon_57995's response:
Hi,
It seemsm like there is alot of people having problems getting these U.A>S done the right way way!It really makes me wonder!I have not had to take one for quite awhile and I ;ll say it;s a releif because I hear of alot of misinformed findings and its not fair to those of us who are ligite!!!
Thank God we all have eachother and our Higher power !
For me its God and he is helping me to make through everyday! Yeah God!

77grace

blessedladyptl replied to 77grace's response:
77Grace,
I don't know anything about this new industry. But, it has grown so rapidly and become so lucrative and all with no regulations or oversite.
It seems that when tox screens are done by the Lab that is in a doctors office or a reputable hospital, the cost is more reasonable and the results are more accurate. But that's just my opinion.
Maybe if people complained to places like the Better Business Bureau when they are charged over certain amounts, it might eventually make a difference. As long as people pay these amounts, nothing will change. They could also change doctors. The main problem is when the results are inacccurate and the doctor doesn't take the time to listen to his patient and do a retest. Then it is in your medical record. You have the right to include "your side" in your medical records. But trying to find a new doctor to take a patient because they had a positive drug screen is another obstacle.

TDXSP08 replied to blessedladyptl's response:
Blessedlady is right if you are Clean and have in fsct not taken anything that you should not,Do not turn tale and run,because 1.No doctor is going to touch you with a ten foot pole
2.Your medical record will for the rest of your life be wrong
3.By accepting the dismissal you are saying "guilty" silently
4.You will suffer in Pain needlessly

Talk to your Doctor,have you been with this doctor since 2005 and have a clean record this should be no big deal,get a retest have a GCMS panel done for drugs of abuse and it will show what you are taking and how much is in your system enclosed in this will be one of mine so you can see what they look like and how in depth they are,fight for yourself and tour right to care.

PAIN MEDICATIONFENTANYL PAIN MEDICATIONOXYCODONE OPIATE CLASSNEGATIVECUTOFF=300 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsCODEINE GC/MS CONFNEGATIVECUTOFF=100 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsMORPHINE GC/MS CONFNEGATIVECUTOFF=100 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsHYDROCODONE GC/MS CONFNEGATIVECUTOFF=100 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsHYDROMORPHONE GC/MS CONFNEGATIVECUTOFF=100 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsOXYCODONE GC/MS CONF7200CUTOFF=100 - NG/MLAConsistent ResultsOXYMORPHONE GC/MS CONF2280CUTOFF=100 - NG/MLAConsistent ResultsOXYCODONE CLASS SCREENPOSITIVECUTOFF=100 - NG/MLAConsistent ResultsRESULTS EXPLANATION OXYMORPHONE IS A METABOLITE OF OXYCODONE AS WELL[br>AS A PRESCRIBED DRUG.BUPRENORPHINE CLASS SCREENNEGATIVECUTOFF=5 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsBUPRENORPHINE GC/MS CONFNEGATIVECUTOFF=2 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsNORBUPRENORPHINE QUANTNEGATIVECUTOFF=2 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsCarisoprodolNEGATIVERPT LIMIT=1000 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsMeprobamateNEGATIVERPT LMT=1000 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsCARBAMAZEPINENEGATIVERPT LMT=2500 - NG/MLMeperidineNEGATIVERPT LMT=1000 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsNORMEPERIDINENEGATIVERPT LMT=1000 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsMETHADONE CLASSNEGATIVECUTOFF=100 - NG/MLPROPOXYPHENE CLASSNEGATIVECUTOFF=300 - NG/MLTRAMADOLNEGATIVERPT LMT=200 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsO-DESMETHYLTRAMADOLNEGATIVERPT LMT=200 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsAmitriptylineNEGATIVECUTOFF=25 - NG/MLNORTRIPTYLINENEGATIVECUTOFF=25 - NG/MLAMPHETAMINE CLASSNEGATIVECUTOFF=500 - NG/MLMDMANEGATIVERPT LMT=500 - NG/MLMETHYLPHENIDATENEGATIVERPT LMT=250 - NG/MLConsistent Results6-MAM CLASS SCREENNEGATIVECUTOFF=10 - NG/MLBARBITURATE CLASSNEGATIVECUTOFF=300 - NG/MLBENZODIAZEPINE CLASSPOSITIVECUTOFF=100 - NG/MLA** Inconsistent Results **OXAZEPAM GC/MS CONF>2000CUTOFF=100 - NG/MLA** Inconsistent Results **LORAZEPAM GC/MS CONF1450CUTOFF=100 - NG/MLA** Inconsistent Results **HYDROXYALPRAZOLAM GC/MS CONFNEGATIVECUTOFF=100 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsHYDROXYMIDAZOLAM CONFNEGATIVECUTOFF=100 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsHYDROXYTRIAZOLAM CONFNEGATIVECUTOFF=100 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsNORDIAZEPAM CONFNEGATIVECUTOFF=100 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsTemazepam>2000CUTOFF=100 - NG/MLA** Inconsistent Results **COCAINE CLASSNEGATIVECUTOFF=300 - NG/MLCANNABINOIDS CLASSNEGATIVECUTOFF=50 - NG/MLPHENCYCLIDINE CLASSNEGATIVECUTOFF=25 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsPHENCYCLIDINE CONF GC/MSNEGATIVECUTOFF=25 - NG/MLConsistent ResultsCreatinine229.9>/= 20 - MG/DLSpecific Gravity-Urine1.026>/= 1.003 - PH6.244.5-8.9 - GENERAL OXIDANTSNEGATIVECUTOFF=200 - MCG/ML
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

ctbeth replied to TDXSP08's response:
Hey again, Andre',

Do you still use Restoril/ Temazepam for sleep?

Is it effective for you?

I don't sleep well and asked my PC. She offered Ambien. I have read too much that disturbs me about this med and declined.

I am concerned about sleep during my abrupt withdrawal for the objective of a 90-day drug holiday.

Thanks.

annette030 replied to ctbeth's response:
I have used Ambien/zolpidem for about 15 years now, nightly.

I have not had any of the strange side effects, and I do not have to drive to work so it is easy to time doctor appts. etc. for at least 8-12 hours after my last dose. The half life is only 2.2 hours, from what I have read, far better for me than temazepam. But everyone is different.

Temazepam is a benzo, as you know. Are you looking for something long term or just during the 90 day opiate holiday?

Take good care of yourself.

Hugs, Annette

ctbeth replied to annette030's response:
Hi Annette,

We're still literally covered in snow. It's amazing.

The Restoril would be for drug holiday. My MD and I had discusses a benzo for wd sx; we discussed loraz, diaz, and alpraz, with the latter my not wanting straight away as it has little antispasmotic value.

When I read Temaz, it was like a light bulb going off in the cartoons. It may be the agent to kill the two birds, as the saying goes.

I was prescribed Ambien one in-patient stay. I know that it could have been a dosage thing and this been amended.

Reportedly, I awakened during the night, ate some chocolates that were on my bedside table, offered the CNA some, had a brief chat with her, and remember none of the above.

This was in 2007. I had not heard of the awakening and eating adv response until after that time.

I had an appt to see PM on Friday, but the office closed due the blizzard. I was, then going to go yesterday, but street hadn't yet been plowed , the snow was four feet deep, and my car was buried.

If the driving ban has been lifted, then I can go today.

We have been housebound since Thurs.

We're getting another storm tomorrow, so the low-pressure system is already among us and all I feel is pain. I do fine with the cold, but the low pressure is very difficult for me

Nice to see you,

Bet

TDXSP08 replied to ctbeth's response:
Yep I still use either Restoril 15 or Dalmane 30 every night as i have for the last 21 years, they are Lifesavers for me because if i miss more than a couple of days in a row of sleep It gets ugly really ugly fast, the PTSD monsters that i have control over take control and i become super hyper vigilant well at losing myself in depression and becoming scared of any man that comes near me and a whole bunch of other stuff related to my captivity and abuse as a P.O.W. it sucks and it was bad the first time let alone reliving it over and over and something setting you off so that you are in one long continuous flashback.
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

I lived in the mountains once for about ten years, and the barometric pressure really effected me. I had terrible migraines that the pressure systems only made worse.

I have not had any of the eating while sleeping problems with Ambien that some folks have, I eat enough anyway, lol. I would stay away from it if you had that problem on a one time basis, who knows what would happen long term.

I was given Klonopin daily once, I took one dose at bedtime. I was going to my doctor's office one afternoon, and rolled my car. Fortunately no one was injured. A slight bump on the head was all I got. I stopped the Klonopin and had terrible withdrawals from it, that required medical treatment.

Be very careful if you decide on the benzos, only doing them for 90 days is a good idea. As long as you are aware of everything, and you sound like you are, you'll be fine. We are all different.

Take care of yourself.

Hugs, Annette

Hi Annette,

Everything regarding the medically-supported abrupt withdrawal is on hold right now pending my surgical battery change.

This is really sad for me, as I have titrated down so much already, and now I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate the lower level without my SCS.

I'm going to try, but if I cannot, I'll have to wait until post op. I don't experience the battery change as terribly painful, as I don't have much sensation, almost none, where the incision is made. Still, it does hurt, but it's not like neuro pain and it passes quickly.

Mostly, it's the wait and all of the effort and discomfort involved with the titration down.

Oh well, it can only get better.
I hope all is well with you.

CTB

I am okay of course, I refuse to be anything else.

I hope the battery change goes okay for you and you can continue your taper.

I had minimal post op pain after my breast surgery, I would hope the battery change would go as well for you.

You are my hero, you know.

Hugs, Annette

Wow! What a sweet thing to say! I've admired you since the first time I read the site <3 Nurses have that thing, right? We use both our heart and brain equally for so long that it becomes our nature.

Of course, it takes a long time, but we old RNs never forget the feeling. Even having not worked in our profession for a while, we'll never lose the inner-RN.

I'll be off to see my neurosurgeon later today and hope that this simple procedure can be expedited.

I do all I can to not schedule morning appointments for anything.

The procedure is not very painful;
The pain is in the waiting for insurance approval.

Again, thank you for your sweet compliment. I'm blushing for real.

There have been some interesting topics discussed as of late.

You were up early! OMG, 10 AM is first thing in the morning for me, unless I haven't gone to sleep yet.

I am surprised that your breast surgery wasn't painful. That was two years back already, right?

Hugs right back,

Bet

Yep, two years and a few months. I was able to cut my methadone in half within a couple of weeks of the surgery. I had so much less back/shoulder pain, I did not even notice any incisional pain.

Being an old night nurse, and in pain much of the time I spend in bed (I hate being in bed), I don't go to bed until early AM, around 4 AM, then I take advantage of the meds I am allowed and sleep for 5-6 hours. Doze off and on another hour or two, and get up.

All of us are fairly comfortable with our own illnesses, but others scare the **** out of us. I can deal with what I have, but cannot imagine how you deal with what you have.

Hugs, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
41 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.