Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Leg Pain after Spinal Cors Stimulator Implant
An_250322 posted:
I am a 37 year old female I have had 2 discotomy and 1 spinal fusion and a month ago had the spinal cord implant every since having it put in I have had several complactions first had a reaction to the glue they used and still have headaches and pain at the site and very very painful leg pain the pain is worst than any pain I have had before I am having to use pain medication and it doesnt even help I dont see my dr until next week but did call his nurse and she just brushed me off like it was nothing I did ask for the dr to call me back and of course I havent heard from him I did see my family dr and he informed me that it looked very swollen and infected so I am now on antobitis was wondering if anyone else has had problems with there implant thanks

TDXSP08 responded:
Unfortunately i have seen many problems in Patients with implanted Pumps and Stimulators Infections are very common and a lot of stimulator Dr.'s have an attitude of "I am God" I cut you open added a part to you now why do you bother me,completely forgetting there post op duties, and the fact that they have to adjust the stimulator for you for as long as you have it. So be aggressive if you have to to get past the nurse and let the Doc know you have an infected "stim site" and possible nerve damage from the implant or the way he ran the leadsand make sure he knoes "that this new leg pain is not acceptable, reasonable,or endurable and he has to fix whatever he broke that is causing this new pain" I would also remind him that another Doctor is picking up his "Post-Op" duties and you will be sure to mention that to your Insurance Company when he bills for services he did NOT provide ( Letting him know don't bill for it because you will nail him to the wall for fraud when you Say "but my GP did that not him")

Peace
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

ctbeth replied to TDXSP08's response:
Hi Anon_250322 and TDX,

I have a St Judes Genesis spinal cord stimulator. I didn't reply to your initial post because I've had a wonderful experience with mine.

If you are exhibiting any s/s of infection, that your surgeon did not call you back, or see you as an emergency appt, this MD is very NOT okay.

Thankfully, you were able to see your PC who confirmed infection and got you started on antibiotics. Is it the battery site or the mid-thoracic incision that is infected?

I did not have any glue used with mine. May I ask where the glue was used?

The surgeon who implanted the unit is definitely responsible for this post-op problem.

As far as adjusting the programming, it is, far as I know, the company representative who does this.

The sensations do change over the initial three months or so, as the inflammation of the surgical sites normalizes.

It may take this long, or even longer since you have an infection, until the optimum adjustments for he sensation of the stim and the areas of stim will be more permanent.

I opted for a non-rechargeable battery. The first three years, I required annual battery changes. After the third change, my neurosurgeon offered me the option of having the entire unit replaced. Since then, Feb 2011, it has been fine.

I urge you to not give up too soon. I am with you 100% that the surgeon's behavior was absolutely wrong. Still, only when the infection clears, he rep adjusts the sensations, and the inflammation subsides, will you get the feel the best stim for you.

If I had my SCS implanted and went through what you have, I'd be quite angry and upset.

I do hope that you can get through the infection, the healing process, the stim adjusted and that your system will ultimately help you.

You probably already have done so, but the surgeon should have a copy of your PC's treatment note.

I hope that you'll feel better soon and that you'll ultimately get the relief you need from this modality.

Good luck, and please let us know how you're doing.

CTB

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

I live in Arizona
If you drive in Arizona you can goto jail for DUI for any meds in your system, There are no buses where I live. I guess I will just sit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.