Skip to content
Laws
Opal40 posted:
When you are told by your doctors office "It's the law" you need to check on that...... I was told it was they law for my DL to be copied & put in a file or photographed. I do not allow this as it is NOT a law. I called my local DEA office..... It is a doctor's office policy that they cannot enforce and usually do not refuse you for this...... I was told its the law for mandatory urine drug testing for pain management. Not true where I live. Call you local DEA, Sheriff, Police Lt.....Then call the person out that lied to you.....
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ctbeth responded:
what is a DL?

Opal40 replied to ctbeth's response:
Drivers License

ctbeth replied to Opal40's response:
Photo identification is for our protection.

If the issue is picking up meds, the office needs to know that the person who has shown up for the prescription is the person for whom it is prescribed.

I had to go to a "walk-in" doctor a few months back. It had nothing to do with prescriptions, but I was asked for a photo identification.

How does this have any relationship to urine testing?
It may be the MD's office policy. The office has the right to make its own policy.

Why, may I ask, would showing your driver's license, or other photo identification, be problematic for you?

If it is the office policy for patients to show a photo identification, they could refuse to treat you if you refuse to abide by the rules of the practice.

It seems that something is really bothering you about urine testing.

lorigibs40734 replied to ctbeth's response:
I have to produce my DL at the pharmacy when picking up narcotic meds. I asked them about this and they told me it was to keep a record of how much narcotics I get. I pick up prescriptions for everybody in my household, two of us are chronic pain patients and get narcotics, I get them monthly, the other is every two weeks.

I haven't found a DEA or FDA regulation that requires this, and it makes me nervous when they record my DL number..

Opal40 replied to ctbeth's response:
I don't mind showing it, I don't want like being quoted the law when it isn't the law.....That's a lie and doctors seem to be doing a lot of that.....Like when they want to copy you ID for insurance purposes......The ins co has no idea what I look like.....It's all garbage.....What bother's me about urine tests is I have to pay for it.....My insurance doesn't cover it.....I feel it is a scam and fraud.....And for doctor's office policies it has to have them.....All businesses have to have them....I have them in my house but we call them rules.....Their policies are getting ridiculous and out of control and costing patients and ins co's money.....And that was hard for me to say because I think worse of the ins co's.

Opal40 replied to lorigibs40734's response:
Some states started this and it doesn't swipe your picture.....It swipes your name, address, DL numeber and maybe birth.....That is what Motor Vehicles told me.....

Perhaps it is your MD's policy, but it is not a DEA reg that you have monthly urine screening.

Perhaps, and I know nothing about you, so this isn't personal, but if one has had drug or ETOH problems in the past, one will likely be urine screened more-than usual policy.

It would not be MD shopping if you seek out am MD and explain what you have just explained to us.

Have you told your MD that your insurance does not cover drug urine screenings (mine does) and that the expense is a problem?

I would suggest discussing your concerns with your MD.

If their office policies are troublesome to you, you have every right to consult with another MD.

Good luck.

Better to ask the MD's receptionist what has been photocopied.

All of my MDs photocopy the entire front of the license, including the photo.

There would be no objective in copying your demographics, but not the photo identification.

The DMV would have no way of knowing what is being photocopied at your MD's office.

In my state, we have to show a photo ID in order to take books out from the library.

My MD having a copy of my photo ID is fine. They can then be assured that the person who picks up my prescriptions is actually me.

My daughter has also been authorized to pick up my Rx. She also has her photo ID on record at this MD's office.

I cannot imagine how this practice could evoke any nefarious motive, do you?

77grace replied to ctbeth's response:
Hi CTBeth,
I happenend to just be looking through different posts and I see your name alot latley!
I thought I'd say say Hi adn that I have related to alot of your posts!First of all of course is Chronic Pain!That is one reason I have not been on slot latley ,plus we were out of town for the holidays and then I have been having terrilbe Memory problems and funtioning normaly!This due I'm told from Anti depressant!So Now I'm weaning off and I can't wait to feel half way normal again!
God Bless, 77grace

Opal40 replied to 77grace's response:
Hello 77grace,

It is going to be a tough road but I am proud of you and anyone for going off anti depressants..... I understand some people need them but they are not for everyone.....Doctor's push them like take 2 Tylenol and call me in the morning.....There was a 20/20 segment (maybe another news source?) about children in Texas Children's services. That might be called something else in TX.....ALL children had to be medicated who were in the system.....The medication caused more problems......It took quite some time for a child, who found a permanent home, to wean off all the meds he was put on..... It was very sad to see this happening.... Good Luck!

TDXSP08 replied to Opal40's response:
what would piss me off about them copying a license is that should i leave the practice or the doctor leave and i have to find a new one is i'm going to have to pay between 50-1.00 for the them to photocopy the photocopy of whats in my wallet. thats the official i'm on a limited income social security tightwad answer of the day, thats my story and i'm stickining to it !!!

Peace

i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

Opal40 replied to TDXSP08's response:
This is a new classic. Doctors are becoming as corporate as banks!

ctbeth replied to TDXSP08's response:
Well I'll be jiggered!

as we (Brits) say

I just read an email from you!

Well, so nice to see you back.

I'm snowed in, watching Sex and the City movie with Anneliese, and eating a big bowl of popcorn.

TTYL, ok

Opal40 replied to TDXSP08's response:
TDX you are not alone in being a tighewad! There are may of us frugals out there.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.