Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Spinal Cord Stimulator
PaulHeuerman posted:
I have read some of the reports on the stimulator and have a question. Does the stimulator hide the cramps and spasms in your leg and feet from failed back surgery, due to nerve damage ?

ctbeth responded:
Yes. This is the very sort of pain that it is designed to help.

I have had one since 2007 and I love it.

IamIrene replied to ctbeth's response:
Hi CTBeth,
My doctor is suggesting the spinal cord stim for me.
I have looked at the web site that you posted and my doctor uses the St Judes eon.
I read that some people love them and others have problems and have them removed.
I think that the trial will show if I'll want it. I have your email from you posted it for Blessedladyptl.Can I email you? I have some things that I'd rather talk about in private?
Thank you for writing so much good info. I think you and the other Rn with pain are both great to have here.
I won't email until you say okay.
Irene

ctbeth replied to IamIrene's response:
Hello Irene,

Sure, I'd be pleased to "talk" further with you about my experience with my spinal cord stimulator.

Remember though, that I have had such a great experience with mine and I don't want to leave you with the impression that everyone has such a positive inexpedience.

I have, actually, had my original unit implanted in 2007. There was an issue that was undetected and my non-rechargeable battery lasted less-than a year. It required three battery changes in the first-three years.

Ultimately, in 2011, I had an entire new system implanted. I had the battery checked in Nov and it is fine.

Also, the surgery, for me, was really easy. I have heard many others say that they experienced it as quite painful.

As you have my email, I don't need to post it again.

Please write something in the subject so I'll know that it is you. I have my spam filter set pretty high. When I get email from people from this site, it usually goes directly into my "junk" file. Since I'm expecting to hear from you, I'll keep an eye out.

Hope to hear from you soon,

You missed the "h" in my name, which is okay.

The CT is Connecticut and my name is Beth. We are

European and don't pronounce the "th" sound, so I sign my name, Bet", as that is how my family pronounces, "Beth"

Take care,

CTBeth

PaulHeuerman replied to ctbeth's response:
Thanks for answering. Im in the process of getting approval for the trial now. Ive heard it can be painful while getting it put in. Cant wait for the relief.

ctbeth replied to PaulHeuerman's response:
Hello Paul,

For me, neither the trial nor the implantation surgery (twice) was terribly painful. When I had the second unit implanted, and I do have the paddle leads, I didn't even require post-op pain med.

I have, however, heard others say that it was painful for them, so I guess that it's a personal thing.

Of course, it is surgery and, for the permanent placement, there are two incisions.

have gotten amazing relief and keep it turned on almost all of the time.

Do you know which company your surgeon prefers? I have a St Judes Genesis (non-rechargeable battery).

Please let us know how you're doing, ok.

CTB

PaulHeuerman replied to ctbeth's response:
Im getting the Boston Scientific. I was forced by work comp to return to work on light duty. Since I work for a trucking co. they make me sit in the brake room for 8 hrs. a day. Sitting is one of the things that hurt the most. Last night my legs went numb and started burning. Really scared me. I had to call in today due to pain. I have a Drs. appt. today. Work comp really sucks. My left leg is the main problem, with spasms and cramps. It is now 1 in. smaller than my right leg. I hope it dont get any worse. Im afraid I have permenent nerve damage. I dont know what the stimulator will do if the nerves are already bad

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.