Skip to content
Opiate Nazis
Pink187 posted:
Sorry for the title, but I can't think of any other. Since a lot of doctors have been getting in trouble for opiate presciptions, it's making it next to impossible for people like us to get any meaningful pain control. I swear, I'm scared to death to even ask for an increase to control my pain! We are NOT recreational users & I'm getting REALLY tired of being lumped in with them like I'm some kind of junkie. I did NOT ask for RA, nor do I want this disease & thanks to the RA, I'm also a transplant patient. It doesn't matter that I have documented illnesses or that I've taken every step known to man to be on the up & up. As soon as a medical professional hears you're a chronic pain patient, they look at you like you've been out buying dope on the corner. I seriously resent this. I've had to go to the Univ. of Ia. to their Rheumatology Dept & they do NOT precribe ANY pain meds. What are we supposed to do? It's bad enough we have to live with this miserable disease, but we have to put up with the stigma of chonic pain too? In my case, RA is hereditary, I didn't ask for my genetics & I can't help it if I'm in severe pain. No one would voluntarily choose RA just to get some pills! There needs to be more education for medical professionals about who are chonic pain patients who can't control what they're body is doing to them from the recreational users who have no documented history of ilness or disease. I have 5 abdominal incisions from biliary surgery & my bile duct transplant. I've had 4 lymph nodes removed. I HATE this disease!!!!!!!!!! It interferes with EVERYTHING & then I get treated like a punk because I can't help that I was born with the RA genes????? I would like to see these same people live like those of us with RA for 1 day. I guarantee they wouldn't treat us like that anymore. I didn't ask to be put on opiates, but that's all I can do to make it through a day to take care of my family. Sorry for the rant, but I'm SO tired of being treated like I'm some common user off the street looking for a fix. I just to live like everybody else & not be in grinding pain 24/7. My hands hurt so bad sometimes I just sit & cry, my toes are all crooked & I suppose I did/caused ALL that myself just for some pills???? I'm in tears as I write this, because I know there are people out there that are going through the same thing I am & it's time we stand up & say: WE ARE NOT JUNKIES! WE HAVE AN AUTO-IMMUNE DISEASE THAT CAN BE EXTREMELY PAINFUL-WE CAN NOT HELP THAT SO STOP TREATING US LIKE WE'RE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS & TREAT LIKE WE'RE HUMAN BEINGS WITH FEELINGS!!!!! Thank you for allowing me to post.

ctbeth responded:
I am so sorry that you're suffering so much.

You mentioned rheumatologist, but not pain management.

If you've not been referred to a pain management MD, I would hope that your rheumatologist will refer you to this specialty practice.

Regarding my earlier post about the PA: it is this particular PA with whom I have a personal issue. She lied to me. It is the woman, not the title, that I do not like.

My pain management MD also has another PA who is great. He was a PT first and fits my Aspen brace.

He also sees patients and assesses pain and writes Rx, but, in my state, PAs and APRNs must have MDs co-signature. There must be an MD on premises for them to write controlled meds.

There are good and bad in every profession.

I really hope that you can get to a pain management MD and get the relief that you need.

CTB

77grace responded:
Hi Pink 187,
Well I was just about ready to sign off but I read your post !!!!I wnted you to know that I reallly understand where your coming from!!!I've had chronic pain and Headaches for over 30 yrs.there are definatly somedays that are the really BAD ones!!I feel it too!!Hang in there dear,try to give it to God!!!!He has been my saving grace!I am Very thankful for his Son!
77grace

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.