Skip to content
Sad and Scared
gcola1 posted:
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to tell my story with a Pain Management Clinic I am with. First off, a bit of history if you will allow me to bore you a bit. : P
In 2000, I needed to have my right Kidney removed (Nephrectomy) as it was horribly infected due to Kidney stones. The surgery seemed to go normally, and after 5 days of recovering in the hospital, I got my discharge and needed to return a week later to get the Frankenstein-like staples on the large incision removed. Did that, everything seemed great, a little pain that seemed to fade as time went on. Was feeling pretty good for about a month, even managed to quit smoking! : ) Well, as time went on, I began to develop a strange bulge at the area of the incision. Went back to my Surgeon and had him examine it, he said it was normal, just weakened muscles bulging. He suggested I wear a truss around my waste to push the muscles back in and let the tissue heal over it. Did that for a couple weeks, but the bulge returned, and with it, a feeling of fullness, kind of a discomfort. Then the pain started, an increasing ache that soon traveled to my lower and upper back. Soon it got to the point where I was walking like Groucho Marx! LOL I started seeing my General Internist who didn't really make much of it, although he did order an MRI to make sure whatever it was wasn't cancerous, Thank the Lord it wasn't! Untimately, he referred me to a place that he said would (something to the effect of) "Either sever the nerve or help you work with the pain." NEEDLESS TO SAY, I WAS MORTIFIED at the thought of having a nerve severed! So I dealt with the pain as it got worse and worse, making it hard to enjoy doing things that involved physical activity. Eventually I thought "I've got to do something about this" so I gave in and went to this nefarious place that my GI recommended. Well, I found that it was a pain clinic that helped people manage their pain. They laughed when I told them about the severing the nerve comment and said, No, we aren't quite THAT drastic! First thing the doc did was order a new MRI focusing on my area of pain. Turned out that I have 4 bulging lumbar discs and what appears to be the start of arthritis in my spine. Though this floored me (Arghh, I'm only 45! How can I have this!) I was happy I finally got some answers. I was then turned over to a Nurse Practioner that I saw every month to check my progress. She prescribed some meds (Oxycontin 40mg 3 times a day and 4-5 Norco 10-325mg a day plus Physical Therapy. This made all the difference in the world! I was finally able to garden, run and do all the things that I used to do!! Wonderful! However, this success story has a sad part, and a stern caution from me...and some advice from any of you who may have gone through this second part...

Stay Tuned for part two...

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.