Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Foot Pain
BodyKnowledge posted:
My husband is having pain in the left foot along the side of the foot just below the big toe that is excrutiating. It runs all the way down the side of the foot along the arch. Heat seems to help, wrapping it made it hurt worse after taking the wrap off. Anyone have any knowledge of this type of foot pain or even what that part of the foot is called? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
ctbeth responded:
Hi again, BodyKnowledge,

I'm sorry to read that your husband is suffering.

This is a pain management community. There is an MD to whom you can address concerns, but we members cannot diagnose.

Has he seen his MD or a podiatrist for the problem?

Anatomically, the parts of the body that are closer to the mid-line are called medial; the parts that are toward the outside are termed lateral. Thus, the part of your foot close to the little toe would be the lateral aspect of the foot: The area closer to the big toe is the medial aspect.

Best wishes, and good luck.
Congrats on the new baby-to-come

BodyKnowledge replied to ctbeth's response:
ctbeth replied to BodyKnowledge's response:
Hello once again, Body,

Please be aware that the MD does not diagnose over the internet.

If you'd like a matter addressed by the MD, just open a new discussion. In the subject, you can write something like, "To MD" and one of them will reply. I believe that is how it's done.

Best wishes,

An_250602 responded:
Hello. I'm brand new to this group and hope that what I'm going to say is o.k. I have no idea what the pain is but I can tell you that I think that your best bet would be to see an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in feet and ankles. I wish I'd known about them 35 years ago when I was living in a small town. I learned the hard way that while podiatrists do surgery, they are NOT trained the same way as MD's are. I will NEVER ever let a podiatrist do surgery on me again. I am considered 100% handicapped or disabled or whatever you choose to call it because I didn't know any better. I know that there are podiatrists who have done successful surgeries but again, I (my opinion) is that it is not worth the risk. Also, even though I could not find anyone to help me back then and I was desperate, I learned that not doing something about pain sooner rather than later can have long lasting ill consequences.
Best of luck! I hope I didn't step over the line here. (I'm ducking and covering my head, just in case!).
_swank_ replied to An_250602's response:
As in every profession, there are good and bad people. Podiatrists are every bit as capable as orthopedic surgeons
when it comes to feet. All they do is feet and ankles all day long. My podiatrist fixed something that an orthopedic did to
my foot. He is one of the only surgeons around that is doing ankle replacements. The fact that one person had a bad
experience with a podiatrists doesn't mean they are all bad.
Same with orthopedic surgeons.

As for the original poster. If your husband has excruciating pain
then something is wrong and he needs to see a doctor. An
internet doctor can only guess what's wrong and that is not
really going to help him. He can't treat your husband over
the internet. So see a podiatrist or see an orthopedic doctor.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

If you still need help
Ive noticed that this was posted over a year ago. If you still need help: there is a large possibility that you may be depressed. I would ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 5 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.