Skip to content
i AM PREGNANT (20 WEEKS) AND I AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE EFFECTS OF XANAX DURING PRENATAL CARE
BodyKnowledge posted:
I have been on xanax since I was 16 yrs. old. I am now 39. I am 20 weeks into pregnancy and my O.B. Dr. says xanax is a class D drug. I took xanax with my first son during pregnancy which is now 13 yrs. old. I had a full term pregnancy and he was very healthy. I am having trouble tapering off of them. I have a very high tolerance to them after being on them for so long. I want my baby to be healthy....my first O.B. Dr. said the benefits out weighed the risks due to very high anxiety, stress, P.T.S.D. and Bi-polar conditions. He said the stress that it would put on the baby would be worse than just continuing use of the xanax. My new O.B. Dr. hasn't even discussed the risks of using xanax during pregnancy. I need to be informed and if the risks are bad how can I taper off of them til after the delivery? This concern has me at a high stress level on top of my other conditions. Please help....

ctbeth responded:
Good morning, Body,

First, congratulations!

In my humble opinion, the things that are concerning you should be discussed with your obstetrician, or the MD who prescribes your Xanax. I hope that your OB is aware that you're taking it.

Just my thoughts, but since your first child had no untoward effects from your taking Xanax during pregnancy, is a good sign, don't you think?

You're also almost half-way through your second trimester.
The type of problems that can occur from substance exposure many times are of more concern during the first trimester.

I would think that the sooner you can discuss this with one of your MDs, the sooner you'll be able to relax and enjoy this happy time in your life.

Best wishes, and good luck,

CTB

BodyKnowledge replied to ctbeth's response:
t.y.

77grace responded:
Hi bodyknowedge.,
I am very interested in your post ,for several reasons,but first concerning it affecteing your baby!
I want to know if I underrstaand this right,Did the Dr. basically say that the withdrawels from the zanax (being high anxiety,stress etc 0would be worse for the baby than if you just keep taking it?
I just rememember me and my years of addiction to valiunm!!!It ws a really long time on high dses!
My biggest concern is that the baby is born stung out on xanax!!!AS soon as he has none he can go into seszuires9for sure)!
Check it out 77grace

ctbeth replied to 77grace's response:
Hi again, Body and Grace,

Of course, this matter is also dose related.

I stress that this needs to be addressed by BodyKnowledge's MD, whether OB or the MD who prescribes the Xanax.

We here do not know you.

Your MD and you have made the decision that it would be better for you and the baby if you continue taking your prescribed Xanax.

These kind of situations and decisions are very important and personal.

Your MD is familiar with the facts and intricacies of your pregnancy, your pre-existing diagnoses, your past pregnancy history.

Your first posting asked about tapering down of the Xanax.
This decisions effects you and your unborn child, your husband and other child, too.

This really needs to be addressed by your MD, who may refer you to other medical professionals as you have a lot going on: pregnancy, pre-existing mental illness diagnoses, and taking a benzo.

There is also your other pregnancy and the records from that pregnancy, delivery, and the baby's condition at birth.

Your OB and/ or you may also consult with your child's pediatrician, so he/ she will be prepared for any complications, should they come to pass.

Although we do care and wish you well, I just think that the things that you're asking are matters that are not appropriate for members of a pain management community to address.

This doesn't mean that you're not welcome here, but your situation really requires professional medical intervention.

PLEASE have this discussion with your OB and MD who is prescribing the Xanax, Please do this.

Best wishes,

CTB

77grace replied to ctbeth's response:
Hi CTBeth,
Thanks for the reply,I definatly agree !I am not a Dr. for sure and Ipray for the very best for her and her little Family!
By the way ,alot of your posts I've rad have been very helpful and full od kindness !I really like that!

Blessings,77grace

annette030 responded:
First, let me congratulate you on your pregnancy!

My mom had five large, healthy babies, all the while smoking (and drinking a small amount each day). I am nearly 63 years old. I don't believe for a minute that that fact outweighs all the studies that have been done that show babies of low birth weight are due to cigarette smoking. I would think you got lucky the first time, and decide what to do this time after hearing everyone out.

Talk to your doctor, do your own research on real medical websites, like Medscape. Then you and your doctor need to decide what to do.

As you know Xanax is a benzo, and is suggested for short term use for anxiety, it may matter what dose you are on, how often you take it, etc. I assume because you mentioned tolerance you might have been taking a higher dose or frequency than with your last pregnancy.

Once you get off of them, I would stay off and continue doing whatever you opt to do during your pregnancy instead of using them. But that is just my humble opinion.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Opana and sweating
I take Opana ER, Vicodin, Soma for arthritis pain and compressed nerve root. I also take Zoloft and Klonopin for depression and anxiety. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.