Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Butrans Transdermal Patches
mustangponygal posted:
I have suffered with degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis and fibromyalgia for 10-12 years and took pain meds with different combinations but usually only took lortab or norco. I had a Lumbar Fusion in 2006 but still suffer from the same back pain and have more discs bulging and deteriorating now. For years Ive suffered and ran out of my pain meds bc I have been only given 4 a day until just recently. My Pain Management DR put me on Butrans 10mcg and told me to take the Norco for breakthrough pain. So far Ive had excellent results as far as my pain but Ive developed terrible headaches and tiredness.I just started the patch 2 days ago. Can anyone really tell me what to expect as far as pain relief and why Im experiencing these side effects???? Thanks so much in Advance!!!!

ctbeth responded:
While many do not experience any problems while using Butrans, side effects are still possible with the skin patch. Some of the most common reactions can include nausea, headaches, and dizziness. Although most side effects of the patch do not require medical attention, you should contact your prescribing MD immediately if you experience seizures, hallucinations, difficulty breathing, or other potentially serious problems.
There is also no harm in contacting your MD's office to discuss the side effects that you're experiencing.

No one knows why some people experience side effects and others do not. Your MD may be able to give you further information.

I hope that you'll feel better and that the Butrans patch will be a successful med for your pain management.

Best wishes,

CTB

ctbeth replied to ctbeth's response:
I have no idea why my reply is showing two different fonts and print. LOL, sorry

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Fibromyalgia Pain
I had a lot of pain in my lower back. The doctor diagnosed it as Fibromyalgia. He prescribed lyrica which works really well. I still have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.